Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New old quad box.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 10:26am
Great stuff here, Is the rest of the system going to match the Bass cabs?
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 11:53am
Lovely gear. Clap
music is the message
Axis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 11:58am
Yes Tony. It will all match. When the sound system is completed it will tour nationally and internationally and any component will be available to buy. 
Reggae music inna velvet earthquake style.
Tshu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 3:20pm
Lovely looking box and amps! Can I ask what kind of finish you used? It's very neat :)

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 3:51pm
What sort of Mid-hi would be used with something like this? I assume an old sectorial type horn,Altec or similar?

But yes,lovely project,well done Sir.
Be seeing you.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 4:11pm
Looks great :) Do let me know if it's coming to Sheffield. You're the guy who made the flat pack Supers for Sequoia aren't you?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 5:13pm
As a matter of interest, what valves will you use? The top box looks like it has KT88's and your one looks like EL34's or similar.
Axis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 5:42pm
Tony, valves for both amps are KT88s. The amp on the top (my new one) has Russian valves currently available and the amp on the bottom has original GECs. I am still trying out all the currently available valves to find which is best for tone/reliabilty/power.
 My Valv-a-tron Tradition 500 amp is a new circuit design designed for me by my engineer, it is more suitable for modern valves than the standard old GEC circuit used by most big amp builders from back in the day and it has a lot of innovations in it which will be published when prototypes have had good testing over time and I am ready for production.
 I will be building the mid/high box for it soon and developing a stereo version of the Tradition 500 amp to drive mid/top. Your right, Im playing around with Altec multicell horns at the moment (I have a friend who reproduces them), but I have not made my mind up yet. I have another cunning plan up my sleeve.
Axis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 5:43pm
Studio - no, Im not that man.

colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 6:50pm
Awesome looking kit and really nice to see someone doing something that is now original as opposed to the same old boxes which tends to  be a bit boring after a while.
I wish you luck with your project not that I think your going to need it.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Axis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 7:34pm
Thanks Colint. I suppose Im moving forward in going backwards. Im trying to capture the the different kind of sound of my youth, the sound that can only be copied by valve amps/sensitive drivers and big boxes. 
 This project is not strictly about power, its about great old Jamaican music played on great sounding equipment and creating that synergy between operator/dj/selector and their equipment.
 It looks pretty too !. There are more pics of my stuff on my Face Book page 'Paul Axis' in my different photo albums.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 7:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>