Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mc2 e90

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 11:48pm
I think the problem with the E90 is that although the output stages are probably capable of 8kW at 2Ohms, you just can't get 16kW into the amp from the mains, that would require a 63A supply.  They have to limit the amplifier to a power that won't melt the mains wiring!

There's a reason why when PKN did a very high power amplifier, they stuck a 3 phase inlet on it!
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:02am
in fact, i can compare mc2 e90 playing 4 18'' subs per side in two ohms with the output that a ma5000 in full power can deliver.Crown could even produce more tight sub-bass if it gets the right current
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I think the problem with the E90 is that although the output stages are probably capable of 8kW at 2Ohms, you just can't get 16kW into the amp from the mains, that would require a 63A supply.  They have to limit the amplifier to a power that won't melt the mains wiring!

There's a reason why when PKN did a very high power amplifier, they stuck a 3 phase inlet on it!

You say this, but testing against a LabG PLM and Powersoft showed that even the Lab wiped the floor with it on the same power feed and breaker. I really like the sound of it, but it just doesn't go loud enough for the price tag.

Edited by toastyghost - 09 August 2013 at 3:30am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 3:47am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You say this, but testing against a LabG PLM and Powersoft showed that even the Lab wiped the floor with it on the same power feed and breaker. I really like the sound of it, but it just doesn't go loud enough for the price tag.

+1

Has really nice sound, but can guarantee it will run out of steam, & clip early driving 4x 1850s per channel, 40-100hz.

Actually, just remembered being at a soundclash, where one system had E90 driving 8x 1850s, and other crew had PL9 driving the same.

Result inevitable. E90 system sounding real smooth, refined, warm, but clip/limit lights signaling headroom all gone.

PL9 set not as refined or warm, but SPL smashing venue down, brick by brick. LOL
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
mi mong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi mong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 7:30am
I had a look at the e100 amp but I think it will not have enough power to be better then my pl9,s my cabs are 1850 loaded hybrid horn designed by marc o and they can take every thing a pl9 has at 4 ohm if the e90 actually did what it claims it can do I could have a new very small and light weight amp rackTongue
i went out today in my dressing gown......
SW2407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 7:47am
Had 3 of then driving 21" subs at 2ohm for a while.

Never quite right. Overheated on me twice. Both times I had major acts on stage.

Replaced them with FFA 10K and what a difference. Amps never overheat and I've never had them near clipping.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:06am
Why would you do 2 ohm? Isnt it better to have two amps doing the same. I just hate the fact that if the amp fails (they all fail at some point) you loose all the subs.

Edited by MarjanM - 09 August 2013 at 8:06am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
mi mong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi mong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:22am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Why would you do 2 ohm? Isnt it better to have two amps doing the same. I just hate the fact that if the amp fails (they all fail at some point) you loose all the subs.
 it is probably better to run two amps however mc2 e90 clearly state it will do 8000w @2 ohm that's plenty power for my bins............ great big circle to the start of my post does a mc2 e90 do it,s specLOL
i went out today in my dressing gown......
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:17am
My car says 260 on the speedometer. Should i drive it 260 all the time? Claiming 8KW at 2 ohm is fine, it can probably do it for a short time. I dont find all this talk really relevant because no amplifier manufacturer is actually recommending doing it. Sure it is stable, but not recommend. Only amp that i hear it does what it said at 2 ohm is the K20.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tall_mike View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tall_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:44am
.... and your speakers can't take that kind of power continuously either.....
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

My point exactly.
I would like to know how E 90 stands against FFA or PLM 14000 at 4 ohm/channel?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 10:14am
at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>