Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Speakers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Speakers.
    Posted: 23 August 2013 at 12:22am
Just researching some old horn speakers and came across this little beauty, obviously getting an admiring glance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Obviously an RCA Bass cab with a bit of padding.

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 23 August 2013 at 12:23am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 9:06am
Please note the correct attire of the sound engineer,black trousers,polished shoes and white coat,we dont want any jeans and t-shirt here you know.......

Presumably that extra 15" driver mounted on the baffle is the mid-range driver?
Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 9:29am
They are RCA Shearer cabs with Altec 1505B multicelss methinks. Mouth area 28 sq ft. Here is a link to some beng used for hifi:

And finally, here is a Lansing monitor system which bears some relationship to the original pic:

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 9:40am
I first heard those RCA's many years ago. They belonged to a PA company I was working with on a project. I thought they were amazing cabs. They would definitely stand up today with the latest speakers in them.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 9:52am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

I first heard those RCA's many years ago. They belonged to a PA company I was working with on a project. I thought they were amazing cabs. They would definitely stand up today with the latest speakers in them.
IIRC they were used by the Rolling Stones in the early seventies. I first heard them at the 1972 Oval concert with Hawkwind/Frank Zappa. All I could recognise was the 3 large bins a sideand a huge number of JBL horns for MF/HF - very loud but slightly harsh. Imagine trying to fill a stadium with 6 bins total today!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 10:09am
It was Brian Hatt of Complex Sounds that used to have the RCA's, Colin Norfield was FOH and JJ was Monitors.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 3:07pm
There is a pic on PSW/LAB in the History of Concert Sound section showing the Stones PA system, designed by Bill Hanley. I believe it is the same one used at the Oval, but the Madison Square Garden system was flown with bins left and right and the mid/highs all flown centre:

Notice there are no upper bass/low mid cabs - the Bass cabs are crossed over to compression drivers.

Edited by jazomir - 23 August 2013 at 3:09pm
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 4:11pm
Interesting read on the monitor system, will safely handle a peak power of 30watts which is adequate for 1200 seats, my how things have changed eh? 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

Interesting read on the monitor system, will safely handle a peak power of 30watts which is adequate for 1200 seats, my how things have changed eh? 
It reminds me of my days in IT - when I first started in the seventies, programmers had to utilise every bit/byte of storage that was available, so you find that the Apollo missions had guidance computers with the processing power of a modern digital watch. Nowadays, functionality has increased n-fold and we are in a situation where no programmer really bothers about memory or processor limitations. Same with sound systems - when the talkies came, the low powered valve (tube) amps were the only thing available at the time so everything downstream had to be a efficient as possible to do its job. (Incidentally, Al Jolson star of the Jazz Singer, the first commercial talkie, used to carry a cinema-style PA system with him on the road after he became successful - probably the first artist to do so - whereas previously he had been able to use his skills as both a singer and entertainer to project to an audience without any assistance from such technology.)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 6:31pm
AJ PA. got a certain ring to it.
What a lot of new comers may find it hard to believe is that with all the power we have today, it's not much louder than it used to be especially in a Concert Hall situation. Hammersmith Odeon used to be done with less than 10k. Today, artistes would want that on stage never mind out front.

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 23 August 2013 at 7:14pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 6:52pm
Very true.

Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

AJ PA. got a certain ring to it.
What a lot of new comers may find it hard to believe is that with all the power we have today, it's not much louder than it used to be especially in a Concert Hall situation. Hammersmith Odeon used to be done with less than 10k. Today, artistes would want that on stage never mind out front.
The old Rainbow system was also based on the RCA-type bins - almost the same as the Stones system I mentioned earlier. 3 bins per side, probably driven by DC300s giving total bass power of 900 watts/side - individual floor monitors use more than that nowadays.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>