Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Speakers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 7:38pm
I use to have 2 double and 2 single RCA bins. Used them at the Notting Hill Carnival in 1986 and 1987 under the flyover. To this day I have not heard heavier bass. We kept them in a council lock up that was being controlled by a friend but the Council cleared out the garages without notice and that was the end of them.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2013 at 11:02pm
it would be a very interesting project to re-build the shearer bin, loaded with the best of todays drivers.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 2:19am
I look forward to your version.Big smile
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 9:20am
I did have a link to the plans for the RCA/Shearer bins but the site has now disappeared. I shall try and find them again. Expensive in ply, though!

Note that most versions of the box were in a square sided cab enclosing the horn - which means extra weight but the original would have had sloping sides.

Here is a general desription. This document seems to include a 12 Goodmans speaker - possibly used as a mid range - which could be the version showed in Tony's original post.

Just a quick update - I located an old thread on the AudioAsylum forum in which someone was saying he had some empty RCA MI 9456 bins and I have asked him if he ever managed to load them with modern drivers (Eminence & EV were mentioned) and if so how did they test. I was also doing some reading and apparently, when the Altec VOTT A4/A2 speakers were released in the late 40s they outperformed the RCA/Shearer bins in every respect - however, this may have been advertising hype or the new drivers made the difference rather than the cabs.
Also, I found a Swedish site (no, not that sort) discussing cinema horns, which has the same cab that Tony posted in the original post here and also, another swedish site (in Swedish - how inconsiderate) with a few more pics here
The quest goes on...

Edited by jazomir - 24 August 2013 at 7:47pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 6:47pm
This is how the RCA horns sound. I don't know what drivers are in the cabs - the cabs do look original - but they are Japanese so it's possible they are the originals.  Enjoy.

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 6:59pm
Impressive clarity.
Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 7:37pm
Here is another one I found on my journeys throgh cyberspace this afternoon - the ubiquitous Altec VOTT A7. This one sounds particularly nice:

London Sound1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Sound1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 8:00pm
The track was added after the images, the stereo position does not change with movement.

Ian

Edited by London Sound1 - 24 August 2013 at 8:00pm
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 8:16pm
I was just going to say that,i think that sound has been added on that clip after the video was taken Trevor.

Here is another pair,with genuine sound,look at the state of the drivers,ripped cones,and missing dust cap,with nasty Tandy mixer,still sounds sweet though.

Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 8:25pm
Here is another of the RCA's /Western Electrics playing.

Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2013 at 12:29am
Yes, you're correct - there were also some comments on the Utoob page suggesting this too. One thing that bothers/worries/impresses me in equal measures about using PA type speakers for sound demos is how they always sound great with jazz vocals, brass & piano but they fall down on intricasies such as orchestral stuff. Perfectly suited to a hot summer's day in the park drinkin' wine, and eatin' cheese and catchin' some rays (thanks, Oddball). Still, I did fall in love with some A7s years ago, and despite the fact they don't measure up, they still have a lovely sound to them. More psycho-acoustics, vicar?

Edited by jazomir - 25 August 2013 at 12:38am
G Carttar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Carttar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2020 at 6:11am
I have 4 original Shearers that have been rebraced and made ready for road use, they were out with  my Johnny Cash Tour crew from 1979 until he retired in 1997. Prior to that they belonged to Silvertrain Sound and I acquired them when I bought the assets of Silvertrain to put out on Cash.

There is nothing like them, in good ways and bad ways. Good ways are their thunder, bad ways are the logistics. Smile

I also bought 8 Carlo Sound Shearers, which are the labrinth core of the original Shearer except the horn flare is squared off so that they truck pack well. They are also thunderous and much easier to handle. They have been fitted with additional bracing to control resonance.

The full-size Shearers had Gauss drivers in them at the time I acquired them, and I changed them out for RCF 15L800 (?)s, and eventually put RCFs in the Carlo boxes as well. JBL 2225s worked OK, but don't hold a torch to the RCFs.

They are all still in service, the full size Shearers are usually teamed with Altec 211 bins and Mantaray 420s/291-16Bs for long-throw bass/low mid /high artillery for special requirements. The 211s have also been modified with tuned ducted ports to replace the slot ports in the original box. 600W, 600 feet, no problem. They are formidable in their own right.

The Carlo Shearers are on the bottom end of a 56 box + subs 4-way proprietary system that features Stage Accompany Planar Ribbon HF drivers. THOSE boxes are a side port version of Altec 816s that I developed 2 years before Stanal Sound (Stan Miller) teamed with Altec for the Stanley Screamer line. Mine are braced in the port like the 817 is, and the internal cavities formed by the horn flares are sealed off to eliminate another resonance. That system using JBL 2300 series horns in space frames that could be J-curved and was doing Steve Martin's tour in 1977-1980 in the biggest venues in the US, lots of big fairs, and Statler Brothers Arena tour 1986-1991.

(Full disclosure---I was based 35 miles down the road in Nebraska in those days, and I studied at the feet of the Stanal people in the early/mid 70's and their teachings were absolutely critical for my systems working well over the last 40+ years)

I have often been tempted to build some new Carlo Shearers, but have not gotten around to it.

----------
Now as to the Stanley Screamer twin-15 sub box...those were monsters when covered in Fibreglas for the road. They would go Waaay down there, but needed a lot of room to breathe. NOT a small room sub. They were a challenge to handle. Stanal used them on tour with many acts, and they also used a 1 octave sub-sonic synthesizer to really make them rumble.

Stan Miller, Monte Krabiel, Chris Foreman, Dick Albrecht, and all those folks allowed me to happen.

Most of those folks went on to other companies when Stanal ended, Chris was at Ramsa, Yamaha, JBL, and wound up at Community Sound along with Ernie Zillenger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>