Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Speakers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2020 at 10:49am
Completely offtopic but i remember seeing a photo of your rig during the mid-nineties and thinking that was the route Stage accompany should have taken instead of running their ribbon so low.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2021 at 11:26pm
Sorry to revive dead posts but I think I have 4 of these RCA shearer cabs, size isn’t a problem so we got them to try. They currently have old jbl in them but do you think it’s worth getting some modern drivers and which ones? 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Esc4pe Esc4pe wrote:

Sorry to revive dead posts but I think I have 4 of these RCA shearer cabs, size isn’t a problem so we got them to try. They currently have old jbl in them but do you think it’s worth getting some modern drivers and which ones? 

B&C 15DS115 , and see if they break apart or not Dead
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 4:54pm
They’ve been left outside for years and still seem in really good shape! Can’t speak for the internals though haha! I’ll post some feedback when I’ve got around to testing them either on here or a new thread Thumbs Up
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 4:58pm
Didn’t see those drivers before replying LOL I’ve got some pd1550 to try if they will fit so will go with them first. If all is well may go with something along that route but think that may obliterate the old things 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 5:02pm

The Shearer horn was actually designed by Olson and Volkmann, and only Lansing used that name for them. They used a 12 dB per octave crossover, and should be a dual-15" re-entrant element if they're originals and genuine. The extra 'baffles' that attached at the sides and bottom make a big difference from the data I've seen.

There's an excellent section on these and other developments of the period in the Horn book from Kolbrek and Dunker. Here's the measured frequency response of the original Shearer horn design, solid curve:

If they could measure their designs in 1935, then surely people doing Hornresp models can measure theirs in 2021
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 5:09pm
Sounds like I should really get some photos up to verify then. Mine are single 15 but look exactly the same as the cabs further up the thread but cut in half! Thank you for the useful information toasty!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 1:11pm

Sounds like I should really get some photos up to verify then. Mine are single 15 but look exactly the same as the cabs further up the thread but cut in half! Thank you for the useful information toasty!

A lot of folk made equivalents of the Shearer under license (or not) at the time. The RCA version by Lansing is the ‘original’.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 1:54pm
Back in the seventies we used to sell brand new Altec 1215A cabinets in our shop in Wolverhampton---They looked like a standard W bin but they had a double fold inside with the 15" driver facing forward and they really did sound very good.
A few of the local DJs who had progressed to Transit sized vans bought them along with mids and HF horns and MM amp racks.
They were 4ft high when stood up and only about 2ft deep and could easily give the punch of a Martin Audio 115 but went a fair bit deeper in frequency response.
I bet there are still the odd pair kicking about in the Wolverhampton area to this day.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 6:25pm
I remember those John, lovely sounding, had the 421-8h driver, only 150w, but very efficient, so had plenty of grunt. Would have been expensive in the 70's, real hi-end back then.

Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 7:39pm
Thats the one Ian---back then they were in a different class to most of the regular cabinets that were about and a lot of people were very surprised when hearing them---we always used a Crown DC300A to demo them hence the sweet bottom end.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 7:49pm
I would like to see a picture of the inside, how does this extra fold look like? And how do you acces the driver? 

Edited by Contour - 29 October 2021 at 7:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>