Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SECURING TOP BOXES IN A STACK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SECURING TOP BOXES IN A STACK
    Posted: 30 October 2004 at 3:20am

How are trapezoid top boxes secured to prevent them from migrating by the vibrations from the bass bins below? What about instances when the stacks are on a moving float like in some carnivals?

Some Dancehall performers love to jump on the stacks to build a vibe. Elephantman,Luciano and Dancehall dancer Stacey come to mind.

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 3:29am
Yep, got the same problem with my X15's over my HD15's, I don't want to spoil the finish of the X15's but i can see them creeping forwards because of the angle on the cab.  If I'd put bar handles on them it would be ok but i've got recessed handles that i can't get a strap behind
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 10:00am
I've used load straps without any damage to speaker cabinets.  The subs were painted wood, mid were vynal covered, and the tops injected plastic.  Just go around the cabinets in two directions.  With angled cabs you may need to use additional straps.
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 10:20am

If you strap the tops together around the sides so that as you pull the ratchet strap tight the top cabs move into a suitable place for required dispersion, then strap them all to the bass bins with one large strap you would have a mission on your hands to move them but it also comes with the advantage that:

1.the straps take up alot of room in the sense that all dancing space on your expensive hand built stacks of speakers which means pikey trailer trash performers which usualy have to jump around on speakers to make themselfs look cool actually trip on the strapping and die, thuss making them not want to dance on the speakers.

2.If all the speakers are strapped together there is a much more solid structure which means less of the motors energy turns into vibrations which means as a resultant loads more bass, and an even bigger bonus is if you strap it all together onto come concrete slabs.

That = BIG BAD AND HEAVY BASS

sorry for the slightly offensive nature of this post, 1 too many stella last night

subversive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subversive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 10:33am
we've recently discovered the joys of this anti slip rubber matting type stuff. it's a little difficult to describe, it's sort of like carpet underlay but the pimples/texture are smaller. you get it in robert dyas in a roll about two metres long by about 500mm wide for about a fiver a roll and a popular use is to cut a piece and place it under your dinner plate when using a tray to eat from. this stuff is wicked and keeps cabs in place like you wouldn't believe. so much so you need to lift a cab into it's resting place as sliding it on the matting is practically impossible. i recently rigged up eight cabs inside my truck and drove it about for 30 miles and when we finally got to where we were partying the stack was still intact in the back of a unimog type vehicle with coil spring suspension. we then ran the stack without any strapping whatsoever and there was no movement  very cool stuff.
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 10:40am
Yeah, we use the same stuff in the workshop instead of using clamps when routing.  Works very well...
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 12:44pm
yeah i got a roll of that sh*t, its wicked stuff
never thought of using it in the workshop though, nice one dom....
Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 12:54pm
i sometimes put that in but i find straps far more effective especialy with people climbing up the rig (ba*tards)
Mal, how loud was that!!!!!!
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 1:00pm
oh yeah i meant both. wouldn't consider stacking without some big ratchet straps. if a rig falls over (not unknown by any means) you've got a lot of very squashed people...
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2004 at 2:54pm
and if your on a budget with a small rig we've found that big lumps of blu tack do the job so well that it can take 2 people to lever our peavey mid tops off our 2x15" horns!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply