Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Successful modelling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Successful modelling?
    Posted: 14 January 2007 at 10:54am
Has anyone got a successful model of the X1?

I've tried in BassBoxPro but can't replicate the extension that Rog's plot has, so i'm not sure if Rog's simulation takes into account Pi and/or room gain.

I had hoped to get a decent one, so that if people need to see how a driver compares in the box against a known quantity, i could post the screen shots.

Incidentally, when comparing the SD18 with most other drivers, it fell WAAAY short of reaching the outputs the others (PD1850, G550) so i'm not sure if the packaged T/S specs for the P-Audio are correct.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2007 at 11:14am
I believe Rog posted a while ago that the plot on the plans was with corner loading because the design was initially for use in a club?  I think that's right anyway.  Many people including myself have had the same issues when modelling.

I still can't decide whether single 18" bandpass (eg X1) or twin 18" reflex is the way to go for sub-bass.  You get more output for your box size with the reflex but the bandpass looks better from the driver impedance and excursion point of view probably meaning you'll get a cleaner output.

Btw, if you haven't tried them, the big B&C sub drivers (18TBX100 and 18NW100) look rather good although those two require slightly different tunings to each other for optimum results.

Decisions decisions....

Edited by ceharden - 14 January 2007 at 11:16am
Mike Severloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Severloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 7:56am
single 18" bandpass (eg X1) or twin 18" reflex

Hi,

live experiences have already proven it all depends on the howto.

Someone pointed out the importance of the resulting Q-factors of each resonant circuit.

Reflex equipment has got one of them, bandpasses got two, including ripple creation in between the created peaks.

As long as the Q-factors do not cross the magic .707-line they should be okay - in the actually used frequency range.

So

lower tuned reflex-es    as well as    a-little-bigger-layed-out closed cabinets

should do the trick as long as the Qīs of drivers taken into account are low enough, driven only in the fitting passband (x-over issues). Reflex-es and Bandpasses consist of the two principles mentioned herein, donīt they ?

Mike Severloh.
 Post Reply Post Reply