Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my big problem...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakethetown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my big problem...
    Posted: 14 January 2007 at 2:55pm
hi....
I've build a x1....but it wasn't what I hope....it's for subbass and what I need is bass ! ! ! by the way..I've done it...It's a BIG mistake....so what can I do now ? Can I put my p audio sd 18 driver  on a 1850 horn or 186 horn....
I can't build a 4 ways system....
http://www.myspace.com/wakethetownsound
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 11:33am
sell them - alot of people after x1's

and start again
wakethetown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakethetown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 2:33am
can i put my sd 18 on a 1850 or 186 horn ?
http://www.myspace.com/wakethetownsound
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by wakethetown wakethetown wrote:

can i put my sd 18 on a 1850 or 186 horn ?

You got only 1 SD18?

Well the 1850 or 186 horn needs to be used in minimum stacks of 4.

Plus the SD18 doesn't have that large of an xmax so won't last long in either horn. So the short answer is no.

Sell the SD18.

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:27am
The long answer: Yes

If you look deeper into the SD-18 structure you will find it's similair in structure to the 18Sound 18LW1400 and for that matter, the 18ND9300.
If you calculate the Xmax of these drivers the same way as P.Audio does for the SD-18 you will also find a Xmax of (or very close to) 5 mm.
On that hand you might want to recalculate Xmax on certain PD models aswell.

The 18ND9300 by the way, which a certain Tom Umney descripes as a PD186 beater :

I never heard of Xmax being a valuable parameter for how long a driver will last in a horn, only for how much power you can safely feed it. Hornloaded became populair in the old days because drivers of that time were short on Xmax by default (and low power amps).
With a Xmech of 30 mm oneway (IIRC) for the SD-18, it would be quite hard to get it damaged actually.
Also it has an impressive BL, which actually suggests it's an excellent driver for hornloaded applications.

The SD-18 can be seen as the crossbreed between the PD186 and the PD1850 and thus would work in both cabinets. I would however suggest to use it in the 186/1850 horn with the volume of the rear chamber between that of a 1850 and 186 horn.

Wkr Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 23 January 2007 at 9:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply