Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for loud portable speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alee94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for loud portable speakers
    Posted: 15 September 2013 at 9:23pm
[Posted this topic before in the Wanted section, yet gotten the advice that it belongs here]
I'm new on this forum and the best place to place this topic is here I guess.

I'm searching for portable speakers with an as high as possible loudness/price ratio that I can buy with a rechargable battery and reasonable battery life (5+ hours), I have a budget of around 200 euros (I live in Holland, Europe). 

I'm looking to use them while skating and for them to be loud enough for me being able to hear them from a distance of around 30 ft being outside with car traffic. 

I currently have the UE Mobile Boombox, a really small speaker, like 2*3*2 inches, which is a 100 euros and has a total power output of 2.5 watt (RMS), which is nowhere near what I really need. 
I'm currently considering buying the Philips Fidelio p9 or p8 which are quite bigger (20*5*2 inches)and have a total power output of 20 watt (RMS), with 4 woofers inside, instead of 2.5 and cost around 200 euros, have rechargable battery and a good battery life, speakers are said to be specialized for loudness and portability. 

My question is if you guys can recommend me any better speakers within my price range that are portable (size matters when it comes to loudness I understand, yet the speakers shouldn't be much bigger than the Fidelio forcing me to carry an extra bag), rechargable, have decent battery life (5+ hours) and most important are LOUD. 

Sound doesn't have to be  http://www.bose.com/ - Bose quality, as long as it doesn't sound like crap..

Edit: The speaker should have either an AUX port or Bluetooth since I'm going to use my Galaxy S4 to listen to music.

jimac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 10:49am
It would be worth you investigating the Minirig.

http://www.minirigs.co.uk - www.minirigs.co.uk

Davey_T on here is responsible for the wonderful little things.
Small and portable, decent battery life and astonishingly loud for what they are!
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 10:57am
have a look for Boominator... quite loud and very portable... there is big thread about it on this forum.
Not sure if you can buy a whole unit or you have workshop and skills to do it yourself.... but maybe someone will be up for building one for you.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by jimac jimac wrote:

It would be worth you investigating the Minirig.

http://www.minirigs.co.uk - www.minirigs.co.uk

Davey_T on here is responsible for the wonderful little things.
Small and portable, decent battery life and astonishingly loud for what they are!

for 200euros... i'd get two of these and daisy chain them. you wont be able to beat its output for its size and the battery does go a long way!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Alee94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alee94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 2:57pm
The Boominator is too big (26 kilo's) and the MiniRig looks quite interesting, is there a way to ship 2 of them to Holland for below 200 euro's (can't find any website) and does each speaker keep it's individual power output when you connect 2 of them stereo?  
Alee94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alee94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 3:02pm
Been spamming Google for quite some time now searching speakers within my price range of the highest loudness/price ratio (that I could find being sold in Holland). Ended up with either the JBL charge (10W/150 euro) or either of the Phillips Fidelio's P8 and P9 (20Watt/170 or 220 euro). 
2 Minirigs should outblast both speakers having each 15Watts of power. If the answer to my question in my previous comment is a yes. Guess it's hardly on an international market and that's why I couldn't find it and the other speakers above are better advertised. 
I'm wondering though if there are any even BETTER speakers out there within my price range. 

Edited by Alee94 - 17 September 2013 at 3:04pm
lukelucas93 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukelucas93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 3:15pm
Are the mini rigs still in production ? was trying to get one... still no luck everywhere is apparently out of stock
Noodles, Cabs and Booze - Student life
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 4:30pm

Originally posted by Alee94 Alee94 wrote:

The Boominator is too big (26 kilo's) and the MiniRig looks quite interesting, is there a way to ship 2 of them to Holland for below 200 euro's (can't find any website) and does each speaker keep it's individual power output when you connect 2 of them stereo?  

Think people refer to Boominator MINI which is about 7kg and far louder than anything you have been looking at. While stocks for the Aura 525's still lasts it's definitely the top choice.

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 7:33pm
Minirig when they're back in stock. Boominator is a DIY design so probably not what you're looking for.
mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 8:05pm
A Minirig with a DIY sub in a rucksack is what I would put together for skating. 
I hope a bluetooth minirig hits the US market soon, my Tivoli PAL is nearly ten and I am not too impressed with the UEboom and other portable units.
Alee94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alee94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 8:21pm
Any way to put together such a set within my price range which includes shipping it to Holland if it has to be shipped? I am willing to go a bit higher, yet not much? I'm referring to the DIY sub and a minirig. 

mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Alee94 Alee94 wrote:

Any way to put together such a set within my price range which includes shipping it to Holland if it has to be shipped? I am willing to go a bit higher, yet not much? I'm referring to the DIY sub and a minirig. 

Determine the (maximum) size of sub you want to tote around and run time required.
 Now days the amps/drivers/enclosure/SLA batteries are cheap. I think Holland has quite a few  boominator builders that can point you in the right direction for components.  
 Post Reply Post Reply