Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

19" Mixers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 10:58am
I find it very disturbing that Mackies are built onto horizontal PCBs. I'd guess all Mackies that are 19" wide or less are built on mostly single PCB. So if anything goes wrong, your whole console is f**ked. Also the large PCB really needs some supports so it doesn't bend too much. The traditional way of building console out of several vertically mounted PCBs connected with ribbon bus cabling or bus PCBs below will offer much more reliability.

That is the main Mackie invention and why they were capable of building semi ok sounding consoles for peanuts 20 years ago. I don't think it is too smat idea.
Japes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:04pm
How about a Yamaha MGP16X? Typical Yamaha solid build quality, groups, single knob compression (basic, yes, but better than nothing or having to lump dynamics rack with you) and two FX engines. They've been out for a little while but don't see many around.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Jimmer Jimmer wrote:

I have just upgraded to a soundcraft compact 16, cracking bit of kit. This also means my wz3 16:2 mix wiz is up for grabs....pisses all over the Mackie, they do a job but not very well IMO, poor sound....horrible pre's. The sound quality difference between the mix wiz and the vlz 1604 is very apparent.

How much was the Compact?

How much for the MixWiz?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:46pm
Yamaha MG series sound is on a par with the Mackies and Behringer budget consoles. I too have experienced the A+H "tone upgrade" and won't be going back. The ZED series are quite affordable Wink
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:51pm
I have a MG24fx, that's a notice fooker which puts me of the MG16.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

I would get a 16:2FX MixWizzz the Mackie thing is APPAULING, confirmation the only product Mackie make worth a wank is the SRM-450, the 1604VLZPro has only 4 usable auxes, the EQ is next to useless (what the hell frequency does the Hf center on, it is no use at a gig and the HPF is something stupid like 80 f'ing hertz) from memory no direct outs (which could save your ass on the lack of aux front) and the sub groups have no inserts which renders them completely ornamental!!!
Headphone out is tinny as you like and to add insult to injury the thing has no built in FX......

Mackie make  lot of stuff no-one in the real world would want, this is prime example, shoddy analogue studio desk maybe (do people really use desk in studio's anymore, surely that is all over?) but in comparison to the A&H you have a 14mm spanner vs a Snap-On socket set!

A really useless piece of kit!

LOL Top post as usual Shaggers, couldn't agree more LOL
music is the message
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 5:44pm
I actually think that MG series Yamahas have more noise and sound more muffled than Behringers. I havent used Mackies in a while.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

I think you're being a little harsh, I have the VLZ 1202 Pro and thats a lovely little mixer. The 1604 has 8 direct out though I agree on the lack on subgroup inserts. Strangely the mains does. What inserts would you use on that?

PS - The HF is 12khz

On a simple L+R rig you slam the FOH EQ into them so you can "hear" the EQ on PFL and you also get accurate metering as the main meters show post EQ gain.

Mackie mixers are great for bashing a few DJ signals together but really useless for gigging as the EQ is useless, one sweep is not gonna be that helpful on most gigs...

The A&H smashes it, I would rate the A&H above any 19" soundcraft offering, the Crest is OK, but I would use the A&H over it for preference and a Venice is hardly in the same cost ball park.

You would prob be better with an X32 Rack and an iPad....
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

I actually think that MG series Yamahas have more noise and sound more muffled than Behringers. I havent used Mackies in a while.

Much as I hate all Yammy desks with a passion (02r 96 and DM2000 being the exceptions) I would struggle to reach for a Eurodesk over any Yammy, I am the first to champion Behringer as decent budget kit, but the desk are where I have to start to back off.....

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 5:59pm
Umm you can get the current Venice F in rack width for around 1500 pounds, A&H 16:2 is less than 1000 pounds and the most versatile mixwizard, 14:4:2 is around 1000 pounds. The current Crest X20R costs much more, I think it was closer to 2000 pounds, APB would cost even more, but they both are built waayy better than A&H. The PCB itself is two classes better spec, plus the frame is reinforced in different fashion. The routing and connection facilities on both American consoles are on completely different level to A&H or Midas. Earliest XR20 have had some problems with power supplies and ribbon cabling but after replacing the main ribbons, it's known to be quite robust. Usually I prefer British consoles, and to be honest I don't quite fancy the bigger Crests (APB is different matter...), but these two rack mixers are the best combination of channel count, output count, sound and versatility in rack width. I would quite fancy trying the Live1 still. (tho the channel count is much lower, as would be with Midas too)
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 6:34pm
Anybody use the smaller A&H mixers? I am considering replacing my Mackie with a zed 10 w/o fx if the circuitry is the same as the larger analog consoles.  All I really need is 4 channels for 2 stereo to control input going into my PA.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 7:18pm
I have a Zed420 and love it, I've also put two of the Zed 10's into a pub I work in, and they are doing a smashing job. The USB socket is right handy for adding FX or recording.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>