Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24" driver in horn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Disco Stu Disco Stu wrote:

Bad idea which is quite perfectly explained here.

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1130

Stu

eAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//-->

hehe bf kinda likes to annoy people LOL 
Originally posted by bill fitz bill fitz wrote:

Too large a cone won't stand up to the pressures of a horn throat. Even fifteens are vulnerable to cone damage, such as this one. Fifteens are OK in horns provided you don't try to get too much output from too few boxes (see Avoid Blown Drivers, http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=698), but if you want to get the maximum possible output from only one or two T36 or T48s load them with two twelves rather than one fifteen.

As for eighteens, forget about it. Aside from the fact that they are very vulnerable to damage with high power inputs, they just don't work well in horns. Horn loaded cabinets get low extension via a long path length; an eighteen takes up so much room inside the cabinet that there's not enough room left over for a long horn. Eighteens are only used by those who don't understand how horns work, or those selling their horns to those who don't understand how horns work. Or both. Here is a perfect example. This SPL chart compares a T36S loaded with a Definimax 4015 driver to a Cerwin-Vega L36 folded horn, loaded with an 18. Both cabs are the same size, 36x36x24 inches:

he's right about the cones usually not being up to the job.  However a big driver requires a shorter path for the same low roll off as a smaller driver.  Also a big driver in a suitable horn suffers alot less second order distortion than a small one.  So as long as the cone is stiff enough to resist flexing too much & the motor is strong, a big driver has advantages.
  The best bit of a big driver based horn is opening the box of a new 18 or larger speaker & seeing the monster...  My preferrence is now for smaller drivers, like the ciare 12.00sw, but then i pay for that with higher distortion when driven hard (not such a bad thing imho)

cheers,
  Rob

Edited by roborg - 15 January 2008 at 5:37pm
What I cannot create, I do not understand
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 7:13pm
Depends what you want from a system I have 3 main points

1) How low do you want the system to go - going low requires a large horn mouth, and a larger driver means a larger expansion for a lower compression ratio otherwise you are going to destroy the driver in seconds. A 24" driver and a long horn with a large cross sectional area is going to be ridiculously large and will still have only the powerhandling of at most 2x12 and more power compression since the voice coil is usually only slightly larger than an 18"

2) How much bandwidth do you want to try and force out of the system - a larger driver means a larger amount of air to move which makes them poorer at the transients than a smaller driver, unless they have a BL from hell

3) How much power do you want to drive each cabinet with? From what you have said about distortion from driving cabinets with lots of power you probably just need to be using more cabinets. The caveat that bill applies quite rightly to the fact that his horns use smaller lower powered drivers is not to drive them with more than 500W regardless of the power handling. If thats not loud enough use more cabinets. That way you can still use a high compression ratio, have low distortion and also low power compression. I agree that driving cabs with no more than about 500W is really beneficial as the additional output ends up in the upper bass as distortion not in the lower bass where you really want it as was proved by the SPL response charts by the 2007 Bass shootout at Tulsa

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 8:41pm
I think there is a lot to be said for small horn drivers as apposed to large ones. If you multiply the small drivers to give you the same area as a large one, as long as they go low enough in the begining, it's possble you would get a more accurate sound due to a quicker speed response and also larger power handling. A 4x12 horn is not hard to do and is nothing new. EAW have had on for ages. Perhaps small is bigger.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 9:01pm
as demonstrated by the lab horn, its a 2x12 with the 2 12s designed to closely replicate the 18/21/24 etc..........
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 9:38pm
personally i sort of like big drivers in short horns.  Biggest i'll ever put in one is an 18, and probably not again (unless some1 pays me to do it Wink)
  For new designs & cabinets I'm totally a small driver convert.  I got one 4x12" at the mo & i'll have 3 more soon ;)

Edited by roborg - 15 January 2008 at 9:39pm
What I cannot create, I do not understand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12