Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels
    Posted: 14 October 2013 at 3:27pm
Hi all,

Our last ciare drivers have over heated, I want to put aluminium plates in the next build to attract the heat away from the driver magnet or speaker compartment. 

How do you create a D.I.Y aluminium plate. Does the plate need rivets, If so what for?

Any info would be a big help as I want to run our drivers at 1000w for a long duration of time for festivals and outdoor events. 

Thanks

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 6:50pm
There's nothing complicated involved, just fabricate some plates and drill them as required. Put some gasket tape on to form an airtight seal and bolt 'em on. Might as well make thickness as the cabs.

Now if you want to get serious a way to thermally connect the plates to the driver magnet rear would be interesting. Else you are relying on the thermal conductivity of air, maybe that isn't such a big deal though.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 7:05pm
... really large jerry clip and some heat pipes?

the plate and magnet would have to physically touch for it to be effetive...

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 7:27pm
I've often wondered whether the plates in the Pun make any real difference, do they? I've seen commercial closed designs with a proper heat sink - surely this would be better.

S
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 8:35pm
Surface area is your friend here, forget using 15mm plate (from memory the punisher is a 15mm cab) the cost will cause heart-ache, 6mm would be fine, you can cut that with a jigsaw, or a router if you so carefully, personally I would get it laser/water axed and have all the holes done too so they just need countersinking!

Once I took delivery of the plates I would bolt as many of these kinda things all over the inside as I could fit :-

Quite obviously get shut of the fan/clip/cable, use a bit of common sense so the don't foul the driver!

Drill and tap the base of each one and use at least 2 thread-locked (loktite 648, don't play about) M4 stainless counter sunk screws to hold each one, use heatsink gundge on the contact area and spray the inside matt black!!!

Hit up a local computer repairer for a load of heatsinks, they get binned all the time...

Ideally you want to do similar to the outside of the plate, but that would be silly!!!

Smile
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 8:54pm
At the risk of getting a good forum kicking, is there anything wrong with simply using more cabs? 
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 9:02pm
Whilst I agree in princiapal, main reasons for not using more boxes are :-

i) You don't have any more!
ii) you can't get any more in the motor!
iii) you don't have amp capacity for more boxes...
iv) given their budget they are bloody luck to have ANY!!!

Most time more than one of the above apply!

Smile

oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 9:19pm
I take your points Mr Shag, seems I come from a different angle.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

I take your points Mr Shag, seems I come from a different angle.

Those "OldSkool" days when we looked at a job, quoted, telling the client what it would cost and apposed to being asked to do job that i would have charged £1200 in '95 (when derv was 34p a litre) for £400???

That angle??? I like that angle!!!

Hence I go out with huge rigs now, like this stadium filler :-

Driven off this powerhouse :-

I'll wager that job was worth a lot money than most jobs punishers get used on!!!

Cry
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 9:41pm
ARR_PG

Have you got V1 or V2/V3 puns, and which version drivers have you got?

The V1 drivers made for the V1 plans tend to overheat quite often. The V2 driver fits into the V2 and V3 plans, it is slightly better with staying cool. however its not perfect.

Ive been using puns for 3 years now and never blown a driver. What amps and processing/filters are you using?

how many puns do you have and how do you stack them? upright? laying down? Ive read somewhere that stacking the cabs upright makes the drivers get hotter than normal, not sure how much truth there is in that but maybe you have experienced the same problem?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 10:05pm
Realistically a Punisher can't take more than 600w before thermal compression takes over, and adding a heatsink is probably only going to get you a dB or so more output for a hell of a lot more effort in the build. Maybe even less if you don't attach it to the pole piece.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

... really large jerry clip and some heat pipes?

the plate and magnet would have to physically touch for it to be effetive...

Something like that! While ali doors would no doubt help the thermal gradient from driver to outside world I do have to wonder how much the air in between becomes the limiting factor. A lot of void cabs have heatsinks thermally connected to outside world where it matters I think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>