Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 12:16pm
Hi, I think we have v2 drivers as we bought them after 2005. The plans should have been v2. i like to run the punishers at 2 cabinets on a bridged 1600 or 2600 amplifier 4ohms. Either Matrix Quantum 1600 or Peavey 2600 4ohms. The Peavey only produces 2600 at 2ohms from what i remember. 

Matrix produces 1600 at 4ohms bridged NOT 2ohms.

The cabinets were run from a void infinate 8 at 2ohms. NOT my idea and it wasnt me how wired it.

The cabs were running for over 24 hours and some now do not work and we have replaced some of the cables inside. I am not too worried about the old cabs as I am looking to build 2 or 4 new cabs with aluminium plates. Below is a picture of our stack. Look out for the GREEN punishers.

corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

At the risk of getting a good forum kicking, is there anything wrong with simply using more cabs? 

+1 , 
why feed them with 1kw, if you know they dont like it/ are not able to take it? 1 kw instead of 600w will give you not even 2 db more, probably about 1 db with that power compression! is it worth it?
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 1:06pm
Thanks, I have read about these, you can find them in old T.V's and computers. Do you fit the fan on the inside and have the aluminium rivets facing outside the box. I am hoping to avoid using one of these if i can. 

Will the science only work if the aluminium plate has rivets to increase surface area?

Apparently the Lab Horns have alu plates, Cant find mush info explaining how if functions.

Have a look at this simple sketch i did. Cheers

ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 1:08pm
See my last post I replied to your post, thanks
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 1:39pm
An Infinite 8 will actually do it's rated spec for the full time you run it, hence why you've cooked the coils. The drivers in that cab simply cannot take that much juice and you're wasting your time trying to gain an extra dB as already mentioned.

I'd also strongly recommend not using them with other boxes unless you're measuring to get the settings bang on - you're likely coming up against phase or delay problems and cancellations will make you run both sets of subs harder to compensate, risking further damage.

More cabs, or different cabs is your best option.

Edited by toastyghost - 15 October 2013 at 2:24pm
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 1:48pm
What passband are you running the Punishers? You have mid tops that are designed to reach you subs. I would get rid of the Punishers and get some more Psychos.
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 1:56pm
Would be nice but The phychos arent ours, This is two soundsystems together.

Punishers - LP 80 - 90 hz

I am looking to build punishers because they are small, powerful and fun to build. if i can find a good solution to cooling the box and keeping a air-tight sealed rear chamber then I will be happy. 

Any ideas for making aluminium. Could melt some stuff. :)

Want to nail the theory before I cut a big hole in the design!

Heatsinks work by the material (aluminium) and the shape of the panel increasing surface area.

Please see the diagram for an easy idea. If it works then happy days. 

I just need to think of the best material to touch both the aluminium plate and the driver to transfer the heat. 
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 2:18pm
Any ideas for making aluminium. Could melt some stuff. :)  ...  yes or mine it.  Seriously you buy it as a sheet and cut it into panels.

Heatsinks work by the material (aluminium) and the shape of the panel increasing surface area.  ... yes and no.  They work by thermal conduction of the heat away from the source, so the heat sink will have to contact the source.  Use a metal rod or similar to connect the magnet to the plate.  Increasing the surface area will increase the effect.

As pointed out before there are two issues you need to address and understand first before going down the diminishing returns route - unless you have more time then sense.

How much did your tops cost?
music is the message
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 2:18pm
More cabs? Runnng at less power? 

an aluminium plate would probably be cheaper than building more cabs to compensate for the power loss The drivers alone are £150.

Its a fun project idea, if it works why not do it?

Thanks for the advice though. Smile

Any ideas on connecting the driver to the plate?

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 2:25pm
Cheaper but for no real gain, and you'll have to butcher the existing cabs. Speak to TImebomb on here, he did a lot of research into this but still hasn't done it to his cabs despite having all the tools and capability to do so - that speaks volumes to me.
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 2:41pm
Yeah thanks for the heads up.

The mid tops are stasys Prime that can reach down to 90hz THEY ARE NOT OURS.

WE have the Stasys MK2  http://www.voidaudio.com/products/touring/stasys/stasys-3-mk2. - http://www.voidaudio.com/products/touring/stasys/stasys-3-mk2.html

We will use our punishers with the MK2s or our freind's Xtos

I will see if i can contact Timebomb to join this thread,

THANKS for all of your comments.

Oh and melting aluminium was a joke. lol
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 2:59pm
When i went through the numbers the air conductivity in the chamber was the sticking point, it just wont carry enough energy away even with a high temperature differential,  the surface area of the panel can only transfer so much energy at a given temperature difference and its not high enough to make a real difference.  That and the fact the the access panels are on the sides so not likely to be able to radiate the heat away..

Ive got ali access panels on mine but i doubt there increasing output by much, they get warm but not that warm.  Really they have to be very close to the back plate or connected to the pole piece to remove the thermal resistance of the air and effectively transfer energy away.  I did play around with the idea of cpu heat sinks on a plate on the panel behind the back plate, i put ali panels there with this in mind but never got around to making a plug for the pole piece, a cpu heatsink with fan running can dissipate 300-400W so i can see that working, assuming the fan survives, its not exactly high on my things to do list though.  My punishers are MDF and not the most accurate cabs ive ever built so i kinda decided i would build something elce with the drivers, with magnets in the throat and ali panels on the back, i designed a few but havent got round to building them and testing them yet.   Id say dont run them on big amps like an inf 8, half that power is more like right.   
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>