Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Over heating issues, Punisher , aluminium panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by ARR_PG ARR_PG wrote:

Yeah thanks for the heads up.

The mid tops are stasys Prime that can reach down to 90hz THEY ARE NOT OURS.

WE have the Stasys MK2  http://www.voidaudio.com/products/touring/stasys/stasys-3-mk2. - http://www.voidaudio.com/products/touring/stasys/stasys-3-mk2.html

We will use our punishers with the MK2s or our freind's Xtos

I will see if i can contact Timebomb to join this thread,

THANKS for all of your comments.

Oh and melting aluminium was a joke. lol

Well their spec say so, but their recommended dsp settings are telling a different story.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:09pm
Yea the infinite 8 was not my idea or my doing. 

Please see this diagram Timebomb. 

With the panel connected to the magnet, that should work, Also the panel is not on the side of the box in the diagram.

Im tempted to give it a try.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:21pm
What about water cooled magnets?
Use those CPU radiator thingies.
music is the message
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:22pm
With regards to fans and heatsinks, that's one for Reay at NCA or Phil B to discussā€¦

I still think it's a waste of time without doing some serious maths to prove it's going to make a big difference to the amount of power compression in the cab. It's a very small, sealed chamber so it's going to be hot regardless. When I looked into this years back, it wasn't possible to get a decent thickness pipe with a suitable bend into the pole piece in the chamber as it's already so tight to load the drivers. You'd also need a solid core to be worthwhile, and a properly machined finned heatsink in the mouth of the cabs.

Owning Psyco Subs with the heatsink in the same position, it can also cause other issues if you're using the boxes outdoors in direct sunlight as the heatsinks get very hot before you've even switched the cabs on.

As for cost, water cut aluminium plates plus finned, properly attached sinks will likely not be that far off the cost of another box, which also gives more flexibility in futureā€¦

Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

What about water cooled magnets?
Use those CPU radiator thingies.

Haha, I don't think that a radiator assembly would stand up too well to being shifted about!

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Well their spec say so, but their recommended dsp settings are telling a different story.

DSP settings provided are for use with subs, so the crossover point is designed for the best transition between the two sections. I've run them down to 90Hz with a butter worth slope, playing pink noise for 10 hours, and they definitely have plenty of juice down there!

Edited by toastyghost - 15 October 2013 at 3:24pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:25pm
mmm, bit of pipe wrapped around magnet, two brass barbed fittings on back of cab - seems okay to me. It will be low pressure mind.
music is the message
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:27pm
bin them and build some es18's
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by ARR_PG ARR_PG wrote:

Yea the infinite 8 was not my idea or my doing. 

Please see this diagram Timebomb. 

With the panel connected to the magnet, that should work, Also the panel is not on the side of the box in the diagram.

Im tempted to give it a try.

It would work better than ali access panels, how you connect it to the back plate/pole peice would be tricky,  i think Void use thick copper cables which will conduct much better than air.  Your still going to be limited but the surface area of the heat sink and the thermal transfer of the copper though, id have to check on the numbers but it could make a meaning full reduction in thermal compression.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 4:03pm
i like the water cooling idea!... couple of barbs out the back to simple low pressure pump to a bucket of water (with ice for really hot days). if that doesnt work then some one has broke physics!

you could hammer them hard knowing the hot water coming out the back will make a nice cuppa

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 4:06pm
oooo - now there is a thing, making tea or coffee to bass heavy music.
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 4:09pm
Somebody came out with water cooled lights, which I thought a crazy idea destined for someones death, but it still made production.  High voltage and water Dead.  
music is the message
ARR_PG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARR_PG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 4:16pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 4:55pm
Well, you would block or seriously reduce the v/c ventilation and cooling and also solid metal would have a better co-efficient.
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>