Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X32 Rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

Everyone keeps on referring to the X32 as "Berry" kit. When really it isn't. It is Midas to all intents. You would not buy a Co like KT/Midas and not exploit it. it uses the same tech the same assembly machines/techniques as used on Midas Pro series Consoles. Inmusic are determined to raise the bar with Berry they have the money to do so as well the means to do so.

It may cut a few corners here n there but it is basically re-engineered to be a cost effective alternative to a Midas using stuff already developed so minimal R&D if any coz KT/Midas have it already.

Slightly inaccurate, from the horses mouth the mic pre is most definitely not Midas base, and the effects units are approximations of KT. Much more likely that Behringer developed their own and then bought Midas/KT to stick the good brand names on the front, eh?

Not to say they aren't good, we have one and people seem to love it. Me, I think the effects sound like crap and the surface routing is too difficult to view at a glance but it's good for the cash.

This is true. Behringer had designed and were about to release the X32 before they even brought Midas/KT. They then halted the release and Midas/KT helped them improved the routing and some of the layout of the console as well as improving the pre-amps. Behringer then stuck their names on it as well. I Have one and for the money its brilliant, and again everyone who hires it seems to love it, but it is NOT a Midas desk. Neither do either company's tell you that. 
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 5:22pm
Well I will stand a little corrected then. But then again, an HH V800, Goldmunn, and numerous other Power Amps, are not Hitachi then. Despite Hitachi designing, the original circuitry that they all use. Some chipsets, can only be used in certain ways. So there would always be some generic similarities.
And no it is not a Midas it is a Behringer, just as it is a HH, not a Hitachi. they just happen to be identical by approx 99% and no design apart from production issues were done by HH etc to make their products. In fact C-Audio were the first to do an original driver circuit for MOSFET amps with their cascode differential circuit.

And due to Berry's reputation for cloning I wonder how similar they were to start with
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 6:49pm
I can't really say more but trust me, they are not the same pre amp as in Midas' own digital offerings.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 7:34pm
Friend of mine did the beta testing on X32 desk for Behringer at Germany. Also Ex Midas boss is one of the many people i've met in my line of work.

According to both of them, X32 uses same preamp as Midas desks. Simply because it is cheaper to do that than create a new one.
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 7:53pm
Personally I couldnt give a toss whether its a Midas preamp or not, fact is it sounds better than a LS9. 
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by haymere haymere wrote:

Personally I couldnt give a toss whether its a Midas preamp or not, fact is it sounds better than a LS9. 

a friend whom I had been suggesting buy a couple as he an LS9/M7 user said he would not believe it did. nice to hear that it does
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 7:57pm

As does this....

Wink

Edited by dylan-penguinmedia - 20 December 2013 at 7:57pm
Amplitude-audio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amplitude-audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 9:55pm
Mix a show on that!
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Amplitude-audio Amplitude-audio wrote:

Mix a show on that!

Never seen a rider that said "No Speak n Spell's" tho! Wink
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 1:05am

And I thank you!!!!! LOL

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 1:09am

Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

a friend whom I had been suggesting buy a couple as he an LS9/M7 user said he would not believe it did. nice to hear that it does

The M7 (and just as crap LS9) had the advantage od being very cheap, they are now not the cheapest and are still not tolerable solutions.

Riders with "NO YAHAMA desk, ESPECIALLY Digital ones!" are very common, the X32 is in not part Midas other than the use of super-mac (the better Midas board use Hyper-Mac to get a better channel count) but they do sound fine, yes I would prefer a Soundcraft Vi or a Midas Pro, but for their intended market they are great...

Smile

Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2013 at 1:03pm
Got the wifey to buy me a Zotac Nano Mini PC for Xmas and today had a play with a Live version of Mint with X32-Edit.

Works exactly as on win7 and is really usable even though being run off a 4gb USB stick.

Going to mount the Mini PC on the back of a spare 19" Monitor. As I need to access the USB soundcard will stick with Win7 as the default but nice to know I can just boot from USB if I get any problems.

It will be used in anger in this configuration for the first time Jan 1st so fingers crossed :)

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>