Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver choice reasoning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver choice reasoning
    Posted: 25 November 2013 at 5:22pm
Hey yall, dunno if im placing this in the wrong section as im fairly "unadvanced" :)
None the less, il give it a go.

I've been looking at a pair of 8" drivers to sit below the BMS 4592Nd
For the purpose of this question i'l restrict the drivers layed out to:

From what i can see and with my limited capability interpret by the data, my reasoning would tell me that the 8N519 has all the pro's and no con's going for it..
Most linear FR, Lower Fs, Higher Xmax, More power handling
Do neodymium magnets not in general have smaller voicecoil gaps and therefore lower distortion factors, than with a larger more resonant gap?
Carbon fibre (Kevlar?) diaphragm which i've been told in "public" opinion seems to exceed the audiophile performance of paper cones?

With all this in mind, disregarding prices (which obviously makes the 8S215 desirable) is the slightly higher moving mass and the slightly lower sens in the 8N519 that unwanted, as to make the 8N515 better despite the immediate visual inferiority?

I did notice the differences in distortion's however is that what might wheigh heavy on the choice?

Is this a question of me over / wrongly analysing measurements compared to real life tonal qualities, or where are we at here?.. If anyone could possibly help me, id much appreciate it :D

PS. Why would BMS go about measuring the 8N515 in 10L compared to the 25L of the other two, or are we just talking typo?
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 6:16pm
nobody will dare to say something before tony does i think :D

just two thoughts:
if you rate a light cone/low moving mass and a high sensitivity as a pro, then you should not look for a low fs. these things are contrary. for your needs (as far as i understood it in your other thread) you are not interested in a low fs at all, because imo there is no advantage of it if not used as a sub.

And how about getting all 3 and testing them, then keep the one you like most? nothing can compensate your personal preference when hearing them ...

note that i have not heard any of them so far.
CMS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

And how about getting all 3 and testing them, then keep the one you like most? nothing can compensate your personal preference when hearing them ...

I might be spending a fair bit on this project, but i aint no Arabian oil khalif :D
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 6:55pm
[/QUOTE]

I might be spending a fair bit on this project, but i aint no Arabian oil khalif :D
[/QUOTE]

LOL
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 8:55pm
there are a lot of shops where you can buy, test it and send back free.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 9:36pm
8s are a waste of that comp. You need to be using something bigger (I'd reckon 12 or 15) before its paying its way.
Don't test the champignon sound
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 9:56pm
exactly what i was going to say..

"almost any" 1" could meet a 8" perfectly, no need to spend the cash and get one of the best coax comps just to use such a small driver for lowmids..
CMS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 10:37pm
Maybe i should have added that this does not present the whole system... Its a part of a larger 4-way application in which (so far theoreticly) the low end is handled by 4x12"... The question was put mainly to get a grasp on what the topic states too, the reasoning for choosing drivers compared to the data presented without having actually heard it...

Edit: Thank you for your input tho..

Edited by CMS - 25 November 2013 at 10:38pm
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 8:29am
If you go back to the original thread you will see that the OP wanted Hi-Fi sound. To that end I suggested he used a particular Bass driver which I then could see he had already considered.

Now for the Mids to have a real sense of Hi-Fi I would nearly always prefer an 8" to most 10" & 12" drivers.

I know what 2 x the above mentions 8" jobbies mentioned will do and a pair of them will work very well with the bass drivers to allow a 150hz(ish) X-over to the bass. I would then cross the 4592 around 900hz.

I agree that the 4592 is capable of more but look at the loads of folks that use them for home hi-fi, hundreds in the States :)

Tony

p.s.  OP use the 8S215:)
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

I agree that the 4592 is capable of more but look at the loads of folks that use them for home hi-fi, hundreds in the States :)

Most of them cross it at ~400Hz to something like a Klipsch La Scala or similar o.O
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 4:27am
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Most of them cross it at ~400Hz to something like a Klipsch La Scala or similar o.O

That is because they are often used solely with a 15" bass driver. IMHO they will work better for the OP with the 8's
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
 Post Reply Post Reply