Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lab Gruben 13000 Vs FFA10k Vs Infinite 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lab Gruben 13000 Vs FFA10k Vs Infinite 8
    Posted: 30 November 2013 at 10:44pm
We normally run an infi 8 v1 which seems to spank our 4 pd1850s in Hogs very nicely. For our last gig the Void wasnt back from repair in time so we used an FFA10k, and to be honest it didnt seem to provide what the infi 8 could. The pressure from the hogs hanging off an infi 8 is just insane, but off the FFA it just (pressure wise) sounded weak and clipped well before when i would expect it to for a 1.5k a bin amp.
We have a gig this weekend and the Void is in repair again ha! So im looking for an amp to rent and all the big amps i seem to be able to get my hands on are light weights. Im looking at a Lab 13000, but is this going to be the same story as the FFA? 
Have come across this http://forum.speakerplans.com/measuredlab-13000-vs-proline-3000_topic60994_page7.html which makes me wary of hiring the lab.
If i understand correctly is this thread saying that over 1 second of rms bassline the lab drops down to the same power as the proline? some of the music we play has far longer basslines than 1 second e.g. https://soundcloud.com/ariesandgolddubs/blazeup, so on this track are they saying that a proline will perform as well as the lab? surely not... i must be missing something....
Sorry for the long post, im just wondering weather or not to hire 2 jbl mpx1200 and 4ohm bridge them to get the pressure im looking for of if the Lab will do the job.
Many thanks :)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 11:38pm
As i can understand from the first page on that topic the fp13000 was put on a resistor load. That is not the way to test the Labgruppens. They can not do sine wave to a dummy load. They simply can not.
But music is not a sine wave and the speakers are not a pure resistive load but more of a reactive load. So two totally different things.
Since i have never heard the inf8 i can not say weather the fp13000 can be a comparable swap or not.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Dave FFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave FFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 9:20am
Hey Tom What is the voltage gain of your void amp? kind regards Dave
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

We normally run an infi 8 v1 which seems to spank our 4 pd1850s in Hogs very nicely. For our last gig the Void wasnt back from repair in time so we used an FFA10k, and to be honest it didnt seem to provide what the infi 8 could. The pressure from the hogs hanging off an infi 8 is just insane, but off the FFA it just (pressure wise) sounded weak and clipped well before when i would expect it to for a 1.5k a bin amp.
We have a gig this weekend and the Void is in repair again ha! So im looking for an amp to rent and all the big amps i seem to be able to get my hands on are light weights. Im looking at a Lab 13000, but is this going to be the same story as the FFA? 

Patiently waiting for the folks who'll say the Infinite 8 sounded louder due to distortion.

There are one or two threads about here comparing Inf 8 amps @ 4 ohms, with higher rated lightweights and the actual observations. Conclusions typically always end in ridicule, and stating merely listening to an amp is no way to quantify which can power drivers more effectively. Wacko

Having heard Lab Gruppen 14K copies, would recommend you are very careful with the gain when trying out the "real", big labs, they have plenty enough gonads to take out 3x PD1850s per channel if minced with.LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 03 December 2013 at 12:29pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 12:37pm
Lev, how can that be? We all know labs suck at subs. :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Lev, how can that be? We all know labs suck at subs. :-)

Think you'll see from couple of years ago, I said the Lab copies "can be made" to sound better than plenty torroidials (@ 4 ohm stereo), so the originals must be serious.

But then again, takes a decent sound engineer to get the best out of any sub amp.Embarrassed

Edited by levyte357- - 03 December 2013 at 12:56pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 1:01pm
I hope you get my sarcasm, because many people here do claim than LG amps can not do subs.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 1:03pm
the only time i have ever had a problem getting "sub" from a lab is when trying to drive a turbosound "sub". But then again, thinking about it, turbosound have never made a sub...

but seriously, there is a big difference between the FP+13000 and the PLM14000, not so much the slightly higher rails and higher current capability, but more to do with the 16A inlet on the 13,000 and the 32A inlet on the 14,000. Lab still state that the 14K will run on 16A, however i have seen one amp take out a 16A c type MCB in seconds, and they are fused internally at 30A.

The FFA should be quite capable too, but is optimised really for lower than 4Ω loads, and personally i think it sounds very dry.

Edited by csg - 03 December 2013 at 1:05pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 1:29pm
"sounds like" an input sensitivity issue from the op causing a difference in perceived spl.
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

"sounds like" an input sensitivity issue from the op causing a difference in perceived spl.

I've heard Inf8s compared to other lightweights on same load at a "test", and none of those except K10 came close to providing the same sub spl, on same test set across same stack of subs.

LabG FP14/ MC2 E90/FFA10 were "not present".

Edited by levyte357- - 03 December 2013 at 2:46pm
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

the only time i have ever had a problem getting "sub" from a lab is when trying to drive a turbosound "sub". But then again, thinking about it, turbosound have never made a sub...

http://www.turbosound.com/docs/products/TFS-900B.shtml

But that's a real sub isn't it?  Looks powerful going on the specs.

Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

See if you can find a K20, that'll do the trickWink

Edited by RosscoPico - 03 December 2013 at 9:32pm
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 10:59pm
TFS-900B is indeed a proper sub and sounds great too. But it's bloody HUGE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>