Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

quad fifteen reflex like community vbs415 sub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quad fifteen reflex like community vbs415 sub?
    Posted: 04 December 2013 at 11:53pm
regularly do a dance party in a small venue with two community vbs415 subs, 33 wide and tall, about 30 deep maybe less..and heavy!  the sound that comes out of these is amazing, and very deep, they love hip hop and trap/dubstep.  i'd love to find a fifteen driver that can do this kind of work, it plays happily to 30 hz, but most fifteens have an fs higher than 30 hz.  any ideas?  no hurry, just looking at a portable sollusion for under dual12/1.4 cabs.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 4:00am
Eminence Lab15s have FS of 28hz. Not real sensitive in bass range, but they are sub monsters in the right cab.
sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 10:51am
X2 on the Lab 15 ,play,s low in small box
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 8:30pm
i did look at the lab fifteens and i know they can do the business, a friend has eight in klypsche mcm giant w bins and they do really really well.  they are just so power hungry with that efficiency of 91 db!  I'd be using a qsc 4050 hd or crest 8001 bridged per bin, and with a more efficient driver, the qsc 4050 would power both cabs just fine.  this would lighten the load and cut back a good bit on ac usage.  i'll keep looking, but thanks for the good option.  Heck if i went that route, i could use jbl car subs which are about 2 db more efficient and have an even lower fs.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 8:32pm
The drivers in the VBS415 are custom Eminence units... at least I'm 99% sure they are! They certainly look like an Eminence basket and magnet.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 11:13pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2013 at 1:09am

Originally posted by lycantheleopard lycantheleopard wrote:

regularly do a dance party in a small venue with two community vbs415 subs, 33 wide and tall, about 30 deep maybe less..and heavy!  the sound that comes out of these is amazing, and very deep, they love hip hop and trap/dubstep.  i'd love to find a fifteen driver that can do this kind of work, it plays happily to 30 hz, but most fifteens have an fs higher than 30 hz.  any ideas?  no hurry, just looking at a portable sollusion for under dual12/1.4 cabs.

You do not require a 15 with an fs of 30 Hz to attain 30 Hz. Familirise yourself with link below to get a better understanding of what is required to attain very low frequencies.

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq1

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2013 at 11:55pm
thanks much for the info guys, and the link.  i'll give it a read
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 5:57am
VBS415 were loaded with LFRS415 drive Units a longcoil  triple Spider custom OEM from Eminence

X max approx 10mm a low Qes  & very compliant driver the Lab may be similar but would need to find TS for LFRS415 I have it somewhere on file. I used to have a sub rig that comprised VBS415 as well as other VBS types. We dropped using the VBS415 as they were fine for statics just not too portable we scrapped them using the drivers in a custom 2 x 15 Enclosures instead as they were easier to move.
On the whole a good driver but low power by today's standards at 200Wrms but were 99dB per watt

I am considering using the Lab 12 & 15 in VLF cabs for getting as low as poss later on this year but it is no priority just scheduled project
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 10:18am
Another contender but again sensitivity is low @ 92.5

http://www.usspeaker.com/ciare%201500sw-1.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 8:59pm
i wonder if eminence would make me the drivers again?  perhaps with a higher power handling, i dont know, i know they are acomidating but whats the minimum order?  Interesting that the drivers are rated 200 wats as the cab itself is rated 1600 rms i thought?  the ones i use monthly are powered by a bridged crown k2 on each and that works lovely.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by lycantheleopard lycantheleopard wrote:

i wonder if eminence would make me the drivers again?  perhaps with a higher power handling, i dont know, i know they are acomidating but whats the minimum order?  Interesting that the drivers are rated 200 wats as the cab itself is rated 1600 rms i thought?  the ones i use monthly are powered by a bridged crown k2 on each and that works lovely.

From the Eminence website regarding OEM or specials:
Originally posted by <a href=http://www.eminence.com/custom-oem/ target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.eminence.com/custom-oem/</a> http://www.eminence.com/custom-oem/ wrote:

Eminence is one of the very few loudspeaker manufacturers capable of producing a speaker to your exact specifications. The engineering department places hundreds of man years of experience at your disposal. Whether your requirement is for one of the stock models in the Genuine Eminence line or a true custom requirement for a specific product and price point, we invite you to contact us about it.

To qualify as an OEM, we require a minimum order of 50 pieces per spec as well as a copy of your resale tax certificate or business license.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>