Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XP running slow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 12:28pm
Oprera sucks..... sorry. IE11 is, well.... IE!! If you just turn off all the bells and wistles off on chrome and just run ad block pro it works beautifully.
firefox still has its advantages... speed not being one of them.
i use seamonkey within DSL and thats pretty sweet for crusingnthe net.
but for out and out speed in XP remove all the stupid games you download to pass time.... clean out the reg. And cut all the shite out of the startup programmes via msconfig.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Just as an aside, typing ipconfig /flushdns at the c:\ prompt is always worth a try if you are having browswer issues, you could have a cached DNS that does work causing a loop type hold up..

I am not a big chrome fan (I use IE 11 unless I need a WebKit browser) but the latest "version" of chrome for windows seems very un-stable..

I started having the same problem again this evening - tried your tip and it worked first time! Brilliant bit of advice - thanks! Now all I have to do is figure out what is causing the DNS problems. Simples.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 9:13pm
write a little batch that file that runs from startup to flushdns everytime you powerup?
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 11:19pm
processhacker.sourceforge.net/
or some other good task manager that will show you what is eating up your cpu.

there was a windows update bug a while ago with associated svchost chewing up 100% cpu...

flash player and hd video play is not easy on older systems too.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

processhacker.sourceforge.net/
Loaded it and looks good - thanks for the tip.
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

there was a windows update bug a while ago with associated svchost chewing up 100% cpu...
That was the one that caused the initial problem - Windows 7 code put inside an XP update made worse by the fact the code was for Windows updater, so couldn't easily be fixed (there was a fix developed for it just before Xmas - just before MS got their act together). The trouble was the problem showed itself in different ways on each machine -  caused no end of heartache for system administrators.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 12:08pm
Can't believe it - machine working nicely, then on Tuesday more MS updates installed and  the same problem recurrs, only this time I was unable to even stop, start or even access the Windows firewall. After finding a helpful fix on the MS site I finally managed to sort out the problem. Definitely going to stop automatic updates from now on! I will post details of the fix if anyone else has the problem.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 1:21pm
And the good news (sort of) is that XP support has now been extended to 2015! So if you're lucky you can have another year of this. Hehe.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 1:59pm
well i still can't get mine to download any updates, so instead i tried to run the Eee pc bootdisk to fresh install windows off of a USB DVD drive - and it won't recognise the drive [which works fine on my win7 machine].

in short - my laptop is fecked and i cannot do anything to bodge it!! So bloody annoying......

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 2:30pm
XP support hasn't been extended to 2015, they have in fact extended the amount of time they will continue to supply updates for their anti-malware software

Windows updates will stop as of April 8 2014

If anyone is still having problems with high cpu usage, try installing this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2898785

Then running windows update

I installed a fresh copy of windows XP the other day and had to install the above update to get windows updates to work

Edited by Sinai Sound - 17 January 2014 at 2:54pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

well i still can't get mine to download any updates, so instead i tried to run the Eee pc bootdisk to fresh install windows off of a USB DVD drive - and it won't recognise the drive [which works fine on my win7 machine].

in short - my laptop is fecked and i cannot do anything to bodge it!! So bloody annoying......

... tried to boot off a usb thumb drive?
or removing the harddrive.... stick it in a working oc load the drive with xp and rite at the biggining of the install it loads the basic files needed to get it to startmloadimg windows itself.... just as it goes for its 1st reboot, whip it out, plug it back into the laptop, hook up the usb drive with the install disk and take it from the.

iv had a 70-80% hit rate doing this.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

XP support hasn't been extended to 2015, they have in fact extended the amount of time they will continue to supply updates for their anti-malware software

Windows updates will stop as of April 8 2014

You're not wrong, that'll teach me to skim read stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234