Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XP running slow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 12:35am

Is the time and date set correctly?

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Affirmative Captain - date set to Stardate Xmas-6. Why do you ask, by the way?

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 11:28am
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

so i've come home for xmas, and am using my trusty EEE netbook running XP....

I have the scvhost issue, but i can't get microsoft update to work, sticks on the 'searching for updates' bit - any tips?

Yup,annoying issue this,just leave the update page open on IE,and eventualy it will click through,and start sending the update files,might take an hour or so...also try changing the scheduled update time on your computer ..so if the current time is 11.50,change it to update at 12 noon,that seemed to kick-start mine into action.
Be seeing you.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

Affirmative Captain - date set to Stardate Xmas-6. Why do you ask, by the way?

If you don't use some lappy's for a while they can forget the time and day, windows update won't complete on a machine with a ridiculous date, like a new mainboard with 01-01-2010, so always worth a check!

Smile

Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

so i've come home for xmas, and am using my trusty EEE netbook running XP....

I have the scvhost issue, but i can't get microsoft update to work, sticks on the 'searching for updates' bit - any tips?

If it really is scvhost issue, that's a virus. svchost on the other hand is a genuine windows process.

Just to check.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 2:18pm
Been doing some research on this and WINXP/Vista/7 all seen to be affected and showing different problems. System admins are reportedly pulling their hair out because there are so many different things going on with users machines they don't know what problem is caused by which update. One of the most common problems seems to be the slowing down of peoples machines - especially noticeable with their browsers - and the excessive SVC CPU utilisation, but some machines are having network access problems. I have now run 4 separate and independent deep scans on my machine all showing no problems. If it isn't the fault of the Patch Tuesday updates, it is probably the work of the Chinese government sponsored hackers who are aiming to achieve world domination or North Korean hackers preparing to nuke South Korea over Xmas - or is that just me being paranoid?
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
rffrecords View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rffrecords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 3:31pm
Best anti-virus is no anti-virus at all.
My xp installation has never been more healthy since I unistalled all antivirus software early this year. Xp boots up with only 124MB ram in use.

If I suspect a virus (have caught none since) I boot with Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10.

Edited by rffrecords - 19 December 2013 at 3:32pm
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2013 at 1:05pm
Apparently this problem was caused by the MS patch last week which was designed to protect users of Internet Explorer from security problems, but which made some registry updates which corrupted XP machines. Story and links to a partial fix here: (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514140/svchostexe-using-100-cpu/page-2). I updated my registry with this fix which seems to have had partial success in that my machine is running better and displays/formats pages correctly but I am still having problems with certain software - luckily, non-important/crucial. 
I will keep you informed.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 11:16am
Success at last. 

After weeks of working with a now moderately sick machine, I finally cracked the last part of the puzzle. The original problems manifested themselves in certain services using large amounts of memory (peak or normal) and excessive amounts of CPU. On my machine, this was manifesting itself via Chrome running very slowly, especially when multiple tabs were in use and also certain utilities (BT Hub Manager, for example along with MS admin tools)  returning strange messages when trying to connect to my router. Numerous reboots of my PC and the router did not seem to clear the problem and my red HDD light was on almost permanently. Then, when running one of my utilities trying to identify the cause, it was recommended that I drop my firewall to allow communication with the software host server which I tried to do, but couldn't get it to come down. When I checked, sure enough, the firewall was inaccessible to almost every tool I have , so I killed various services (SVCs) until I found the one that was causing the problem (peak memory use was very high) then reset my router, rebooted my PC and re-started the firewall and voila, no slow machine. 

I believe the initial cause problem was definitely the MS upgrade, but that some sort of service corruption between the firewall and router was causing the ongoing problem and a simple boot of the PC or router was not clearing it so it took a combined re-boot along with a dropping of the firewall to escape this problem loop - at 2am this morning!

Hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 11:45am

Just as an aside, typing ipconfig /flushdns at the c:\ prompt is always worth a try if you are having browswer issues, you could have a cached DNS that does work causing a loop type hold up..

I am not a big chrome fan (I use IE 11 unless I need a WebKit browser) but the latest "version" of chrome for windows seems very un-stable..

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 12:06pm

Just as an aside, typing ipconfig /flushdns at the c:\ prompt is always worth a try if you are having browswer issues, you could have a cached DNS that does work causing a loop type hold up..

I am not a big chrome fan (I use IE 11 unless I need a WebKit browser) but the latest "version" of chrome for windows seems very un-stable..

I loved Chrome - so much easier and more stable than Firefox - but I too am having doubts as to its stability. I think that they are trying to squeeze too much into a small package - which was the reason I switched to Chrome in the first place, it loaded much more quickly and was easy to do stuff using extensions/add-ons.

Edited by jazomir - 07 January 2014 at 12:08pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 12:11pm
^try operaThumbs Up
"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>