Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 modified.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lirben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 modified.
    Posted: 26 January 2007 at 6:43pm
Hello, I'm planning to build an X1 woofer.

For certain reasons I would rather put an 15" woofer into it. Is this a big difference? I just have to adjust the measurments of the circle for the driver or do I also have to recalculate the whole set up. If so, its just with the rule of three (don't know how to say propperly in English) But I mean:

18" (original) -> 15" = 18/18*15

so

200mm (original) -> 200mm/18*15 -> 166,7mm?

I know I confuse inches with mm, but that makes no difference as it is just adding an constant value.

Edited by Lirben - 26 January 2007 at 6:43pm
jeddere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeddere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 4:55am
You either want to build the original box and load it with the correct driver,
or redesign it to complement the driver you want to use.

Cheapest way to do this is to download WinISD (free) from here: http://www.linearteam.dk/

I'd recommend entering the data for the original box & driver first to see what sort of thing your aiming at, including maximum vent velocities etc.

Then start again with your driver's parameters and model until you've got something your happy with.

Bit fiddly then fitting it into a box shape but not impossible..

Its worth the time and effort and the result (unless your very lucky) will be better than scaling.
Lirben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lirben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 6:27am
I would like to use the following 15 inch driver. The FS is only 50hz in stead of 30 is this a big problem? http://www.rsl.nl/sales/product_info.php?products_id=30&RSL=017184b2924b8a2ecf41107a367a2efd
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 11:00am
If you want to use a 15" driver do not build an X1 as it will be completely wrong.  Design a cab specifically for your driver.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Lirben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lirben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 11:20am
ok then I searched around and I found this speaker

http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/producto.php

this one is much cheaper. Offcourse its power is lower, but I don't really care as I only want to use it for a homeparty with over 50-70 people
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 12:20pm
That links to the speaker selection page.  What was the model number of the driver?
Lirben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lirben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 4:59pm
it's the SM-118 N

I'm sorry, didn't checked the link
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 8:58am
Yes it should work ok.  In the simulation it shows a very large peak at 50hz and maximum acoustic power doesn't come close to the SD-18 i was comparing with (about 4db less), but for house parties it should work.  Just needs some EQ correction
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 9:30am
Since it's just for homeparties why not build a bass reflex cabinet.Less headaches.

Edited by COWFOOT - 28 January 2007 at 9:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply