Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screw size for 15mm ply?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screw size for 15mm ply?
    Posted: 06 February 2014 at 3:05pm
What size screw should I use to go into the end of 15mm ply? Will 4mm split the wood?
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 3:23pm
Depends on the screw quality and type.
The ones with a 'cutting tip' will be far less likely to split the Ply.
I would recommend a 3.5 x 40mm though.
If you can find a 'part thread' screw they work really wel!!
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 3:47pm
Something like this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-tite-prodrive-csk-3-5-x-40mm-pack-of-200/88585#

Or fully threaded but with a meaner looking tip?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscrew-plus-countersunk-3-5-x-40mm-pack-of-200/25373#

I need to buy a bunch of different things so I'm going to do a screwfix order & can get whatever is best rather than whatever my local DIY store happens to have.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 4:39pm
I would not use screws and do not anyway
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 5:11pm
Listen to SMP, he's the man!
He cuts the Ply with his razor sharp wit and glues it with the charm that oozes out of him!!
If you're lucky he might even tell you how he does it!!
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 5:16pm
@ Short Dope  You really are a Dick eh? You begginers who think they know it all make me laugh 

I do not use screws as the destroy the integrity of the panel Glue will do the job better than screws and Short Dope I thought you actually knew better but guess you not a Joiner after all

OP just pin and clamp your joints I have cabs here some pin a n glue some "Biscuit" but still good 20+yrs on
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 5:23pm
Don't be a tool SMP!
Yer man asked what screws would yer use not which method of construction.
Plus, you are wrong about destroying the panel integrity, that's just Bollocks!
The right size good quality screws used with Glue will not split the Ply and will out perform a pinned joint with ease.
Perhaps you might be better sticking to what you know???
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 5:44pm
@ Lost Eden

Sorry about the Troll!
Yer can use pins and clamps if you happen to have all the gear and yes it will work well.

I couldn't open those screwfix links.
If you use screws then you need to make sure you don't split the board.
In my experience this is done by using a part thread screw and pre drilling the whole joint with a small pilot suitable for the screw size usually 1.5- 2mm.
The part thread will ensure that the joint pulls tight.
Or...use a full thread cutter tip screw and drill a clearance hole (same diameter as the whole screw thread) in the top piece of timber this will ensure that the joint pulls together nicely.
I hope that makes sense.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 5:48pm
But i am i have produced around 800-1000 cabinets over the years I have worked as a Joiner with friends who are Shipwrights  and guess what NO SCREWS  but the Boats are fine.

I would suggest you learn a hell of a lot more about cabinet making and such things
I merely tried to educate him unlike you who is just like a Fly or a Sheep Learn something new here

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 5:53pm
What's that quote that springs to mind?....

"Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience"

I think you might be just making it all up SMP!!
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 6:01pm
to add when I have had to use guys like you who make Furniture windows and stairs I have ALWAYS had to educate them as to how to build a Loudspeaker cabinet. As they did not know some have been Joiners for many years but seem to think they were making something else

a word or two on Glue/Adhesive ...if there is not too much there is not enough
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2014 at 6:05pm
Do you do all this amazing stuff in a Lycra onesie and a cape??
Perhaps wearing your jocks on the outside too??
I'm thinking you must be Superman??!! Clap 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>