Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS 4592ND performance on a 250Hz tractrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShokZi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 7:19pm
im also interested as i had my eye on those horns but couldnt find enough data on directivity to take such a leap of faith
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2015 at 2:02pm
Any updates, looks like a really interesting project....

Dupe...
Dupe...
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2015 at 9:52pm
Agreed, i looked up Stereolab and all i found was a band. I would love more info, they look beautiful, good horns tend to lok right and hat is a corker. I am a fan of tractrix my lower mid horns are based on the tractrix curve.

Do they have a website?
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2015 at 10:24pm
Website is here.

Dupe...
Dupe...
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2015 at 9:09am
Lovely horns, fairly pricey but I bet the quality is good. Bet they could be great for HiFi customs if you had a nice 1"/1.4" driver sitting around
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 4:26pm
Did you finish your work on these, I am wanting to build a bigger 12V rig over the next year and these may do the trick?

Dupe...
Dupe...
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 11:57pm
Wow Corian, nice inert material and impressive thermoforming. 10mm that is interesting it's only available in 9 or 12 which likely means that 2mm is stretched out in the thermoforming process. No easy task. Problem with it is its brittle, a good impact and it shatters, it also scratches very easily. Not sure how well it would fair in a touring application. Need to be boxed for certain.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 7:53am
Unfortunately, whilst on axis sound was superb, these, and all other tractrix flares i have played with ( 18 sound  and a couple of unbranded ones i picked up somewhere) suffered from too much HF beaming, giving an inconsistent sound and making splaying multiple boxes impossible.

With flares, you cant beat the physics unfortunately - and i had to compromise and use large CD flares that whilst ultimately sounded poorer on axis were array-able and  far more consistent across their coverage area giving a solution which was workable.

For me, tractrix flares have one use - hifi where you have one focused listening position and need very high sensitivity through the use of very low powered valve amps, and thats about it.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:35am
Chris did you try the 4594Nd on the 18sound XT? With FIR filtering applied to correct some of the dispersion anomalies it's damn good - but as you say it's not ideal for more than two per side

Nor is it cheap!

Edited by toastyghost - 06 March 2017 at 10:35am
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 2:32pm
18sound claims about the xt being a cd horn are bogus, Here is a sim we done of it.

Horizontal

How did the fully round tractrix compare? id imagine it probably beamed more.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:22pm
Well there must be an issue with that sim because they provide their own isobars, polars, DI and so on here:
http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/PDFs/XT1464.PDF
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:32pm
Really difficult to compare as the scales (dB and frequency) are so different?

Dupe...
Dupe...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>