Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS 4592ND performance on a 250Hz tractrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:00pm
The sim is slightly different, the 18sound sims look very smoothed, you will also notice my sim goes to 20khz the 18sound is zoomed in and starts at 500 and only goes to 10k. Stretched and zoomed in to that range they are very close. Outside of that range is where the issues lie.

There is also the fact that this sim is a scaled up 2" version, the 1.4" sim is almost identical tho.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 06 March 2017 at 5:01pm
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Really difficult to compare as the scales (dB and frequency) are so different?

Dupe...

The log10 frequency are exponents you just need to work them out.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

The sim is slightly different, the 18sound sims look very smoothed, you will also notice my sim goes to 20khz the 18sound is zoomed in and starts at 500 and only goes to 10k. Stretched and zoomed in to that range they are very close. Outside of that range is where the issues lie.

There is also the fact that this sim is a scaled up 2" version, the 1.4" sim is almost identical tho.

They do only advertise constant coverage (not directivity) from 1.5kHz upwards but it is most common for isobars to be smoothed, often 1/3rd oct with colours stepped for 3dB divisions.

If you're comparing then it's best to keep the parameters the same.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 6:41pm
Didn't notice the frequency scale, odd way of doing it? Teach me to read the axis label. Will have a better look later....

Dupe...

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 06 March 2017 at 9:02pm
Dupe...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:00pm
Takes a lot of processing power and memory (edit: ram) (60gb plus) to go up to 20k in comsol, may be that they didn't have it at the time.

What would your thoughts be on using a tractrix to say 7k below were beaming starts to occur with a non coaxial mf compression driver in addition with a cd flare to handle the high frequencies.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 06 March 2017 at 9:01pm
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:26pm

Takes a lot of processing power and memory (edit: ram) (60gb plus) to go up to 20k in comsol, may be that they didn't have it at the time.

What would your thoughts be on using a tractrix to say 7k below were beaming starts to occur with a non coaxial mf compression driver in addition with a cd flare to handle the high frequencies.

Those are measured isobars not simulations.

http://fouraudio.com/en/products/elf.html most likely

Edited by toastyghost - 06 March 2017 at 9:27pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:33pm
Could well be. That's incouraging if so as comsol is very close at 500-10k. Then I ask why have they stopped at 10k? But proofs in the pudding we know it beams as csg experienced, if it's a measurement they have stopped at 10k for a reason.

But like you say they claim constant coverage not directivity. I was under the impression that was the same thing but obviously not, what does constant coverage mean?

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 06 March 2017 at 9:35pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:41pm
Infact how can it be a measurement, a measurement is a driver and horn combined which would be invalid results for the pressure response of the horn alone.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:53pm
It suggests that measurements were made using their ND1480 driver on the horn in the PDF. Also as I read it the 10kHz mark on the isobars is not at the far right of the diagram? So it shows response above that - likely up to the 12.5kHz they claim directivity is maintained up to.

Look at isobars / directivity info for most manufacturers, you'll see they all tend to crop to show the 'relevant' parts. It's fairly rare to see data below 400Hz.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:57pm
Ahh missed that bit, well spotted. Yes I understand there's no point in plotting outside of specified response but even at 12k they are 8k off the top end. Which to me says the recommended response is 500-12k
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:00pm

Ahh missed that bit, well spotted. Yes I understand there's no point in plotting outside of specified response but even at 12k they are 8k off the top end. Which to me says the recommended response is 500-12k

Well yeah, that's basically what they say…

Edited by toastyghost - 06 March 2017 at 10:00pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 10:07pm
12k - 18k quite a large gap still in there dispersion plot. I think it starts beaming well before 18k Even so this a big implication as to the use of this horn. It really suggests it needs a hf horn on top.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 06 March 2017 at 10:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>