Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xtro capabilities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by discosucks discosucks wrote:

I'm down in sligo bro! 

I actually wrote to you a while ago on your facebook page :) 

Where do you hail from? 

Yeah man...I remember.
I'm all the way down in West Cork!
If I'm up your way I'll give you a shout, I never been to Sligo.
I'd really like to hear those H3s, that's the kind of Mid top Cab I'd like to build eventually.

discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 1:53pm
@ cravings . Yea i was looking at the w3s , same kind of phase ball on the 6" that the h3' has on the 10" . Thumbs Up  . 

I was looking to build something like them too shortrope , but my lack of knowledge using modelling software has held me back when haha , but there is some designs available for 3 way boxes like them ( folded kick section , horn mid/hi ) . 

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by discosucks discosucks wrote:

I was looking to build something like them too shortrope , but my lack of knowledge using modelling software has held me back when haha , but there is some designs available for 3 way boxes like them ( folded kick section , horn mid/hi ) . 

I'm trying to find a design I can adapt...
I'd really like to make up a one piece twin horn baffle with phase plugs in GRP.
I've got this fancy image in my head of lovely dark wood Veneer cabs with neat coloured horn/baffle and phase plug.
I'm fairly sure I've got the ability to build it but I don't know enough about how to design the horns yet.
It's a bit frustrating!!
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:47pm
thats my problem too! But it is a very big part of it LOL

I have a guy that does cnc work for me , and will more than likely be getting a cnc machine of
my own soon ( my dad is a luthier and wants to start making more solid bodies ) . 

I know the UK has many box designers but i wonder is there anyone around Ireland working on it at the moment? 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Which does not prove anything really. A/B them and then say what you will hear.

I have, several times, and owned Xtros for a while. Have you?

It sounds, well, boxy for want of a better word. Certainly nowhere near as smooth or warm as the H3 and they take a lot more juice to boot. H3 with matching reflex subs is one of my favourite compact rigs and I've heard just two stacks a side easily cover a huge hall (at least 25m squared) for very demanding, aggressive music with ease.

I've also listened to Xtros built, tuned and loaded by people who I trust and they always lacked something - maybe not kick or punch, but I just didn't enjoy the sound at all. I believe they were also used at the amp shootout some years ago and Rog and a few other members agreed with me.

Not to mention that second hand H3 will be cheaper than a new Xtro, and carry a reputable brand on the front of the grille which means cross hiring and selling could well be a lot easier. Plus at a push, the H3 works as a proper full range box (FOH or drum fill?) with a surprising amount of depth, which can't be said of the Xtro.

Edited by toastyghost - 23 October 2013 at 8:45pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 8:58pm
It all depend what your need is. Xtros are designed to complement the punishers. So they dont go low. Hence their not so warm tone.
I have nothing against the H3. But if you need more kick, then xtro is a better box. 
The mid and high of both boxes are very similar, so b&c loaded xtro should sound very comparable in 300Hz and up part of the sound with the H3.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 9:48pm
you think the wooden horn of an xtro could be comparable to the martin mid horn? i haven't heard either... but am surprised to hear someone say that.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 10:01pm
we made several versions of the Xtro with different drivers and midrange solutions

the best results we had were with using a dual 8" midhorn and a 2" exit horn coupled to 4x 1" drivers firing into a manifold. 

It looked like this:

The midrange horn in the original xtro is not very good.  But keep in mind that it was a design mainly aimed at the techno scene.

general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 10:12pm

It all depend what your need is. Xtros are designed to complement the punishers. So they dont go low. Hence their not so warm tone.
I have nothing against the H3. But if you need more kick, then xtro is a better box. 
The mid and high of both boxes are very similar, so b&c loaded xtro should sound very comparable in 300Hz and up part of the sound with the H3.

Maybe it should, but it doesn't, sadly.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 11:48pm
Forget the wooden horn. Mykeys horn is the one you want to use in the xtro.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 4:21am

Forget the wooden horn. Mykeys horn is the one you want to use in the xtro.

All of the ones I've used and listened to have these.
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 4:13am
I agree with toasty that the xtro had a boxy sound to it from the kicks. The 8" part wasn't the problem though with the fibre glass horn. It was more lacking in top end from the 1" I always found and could of done with something more powerful. I had the 1" running of a xt800
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>