Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is This limiter/compressor any good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detergent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This limiter/compressor any good
    Posted: 10 March 2014 at 6:44pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alesis-3632-Compressor-New-Upgraded-Version-of-the-3630-/121254312855?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item1c3b51fb97

or can anyone recommend a decent one :) or has anyone got a second hand one 
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 7:51pm
I never liked the alesis 3630 compressors, i can't tell you why, they just didn't do it for me.

Drawmer dl221 and dl231 i think sound great an I've managed to pick some up cheap if you keep you ebay eye out.

Smile
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 11:50pm
Any good for what?

Vocal channel compression/limiting? Yeah.. it can be useful. Are there better options? Yes loads.
Main mix limiting? No. Totally the wrong too for the job.. start looking at PA processors.

Edited by Conanski - 10 March 2014 at 11:51pm
detergent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detergent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2014 at 9:49pm
I use a void live drive +need something to limit the signal before it :) 
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2014 at 10:04pm
Avc2

Never looked back
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2014 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by detergent detergent wrote:

I use a void live drive +need something to limit the signal before it :) 

That makes no sense. What problem are you trying to fix?
detergent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detergent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2014 at 8:16pm
i need something that limits the signal before the live drive so i don't need to watch it 24 7 at French tek as some tunes and some formats and some dick head djs batter it :) 
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 1:01am
Look out for a used Aphex Dominator 2.  They used to be popular as limiters for IEM systems and when properly adjusted will provide serious amounts of limiting without sounding nasty.
You should be able to pick one up for around £100.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 1:31am

BSS DPR-402, not used a AVC-2 as I have always had a 4 d cell maglight for jobs like that, the 3630 is not appalling (better than any stereo DBX, but does touch a 160x) but the thing has a wall-wart PSu which tells you all you need to know about the target audience...

I would never run full-range audio through any Drawmer, DL221 great on BV or simple bass  but not a mix controller and when you look at the price the Behringer MDX 2600 lays waste to it from every angle..

In real terms the 3630 is not as good as the Composer Pro XL, which is mains in, XLR+TRS IO and better built!

godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Look out for a used Aphex Dominator 2.  They used to be popular as limiters for IEM systems and when properly adjusted will provide serious amounts of limiting without sounding nasty.
You should be able to pick one up for around £100.

seconded, the most transparent sounding limiter Ive ever used

the alesis comps Ive used have just been horrible sounding
LOUDER THAN LOUD
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 9:49am
If you want to keep the dynamic range a pair of -20db xlr inline pads stops most DJ mixers from overloading the next input stage in the chain..

Or the Drawmer sp2120 or Formula sound AVC2D both work well as auto level controllers.

The original AVC2 not so transparent..

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
AvLee View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AvLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 8:25pm
The most "transparent" Active unit you'll get in this price bracket is a Cloud CX335!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>