Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator build (UK)...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boominator build (UK)...
    Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:10pm

Updated 12-5-14 with latest design and links for people in UK sourcing hardware.

Updated 14-5-14 with weight of components.

Updated 2-9-14 I am back on it. Minor updates.

Updated 10-3-15 Back on it, again ready for summer.

Updated 28-3-15 page 7 parts are arriving.

Updated 3/4-4-15 page 8 weight discussions.

Updated 4-6-15 page 9 CNC wood arrives and we confirm the weight!

Updated 3-8-15 page 10 the build starts.

Updated 21-8-15 page 10 almost complete

Updated 10-11-15 page 11 some comments on using epoxy resin

Hi all,

I am about to start building a Boominator, after much thought about doing my own design, its become clear that significant development has been done on this design and I don’t have time to re-invent the wheel. So here is the plan so far: 

Speakers

Low Freq – Eminence Basslite S2010 * 4  - 6.4kg

High Freq – P-Audio PHT-407N * 4 - 1kg

Will probably get from www.bluearan.co.uk

Timber

Machine cut 12mm filmed 9 ply birch ply, will try and source WisaForm Birch

Glue

West system Six10 epoxy and jenny brushes from East Coast Fibreglass

X-Over

MiniDSP 2*4 + 2 way Advanced 21 from www.accusafe.nl with plug in from www.minidsp.com

Amplifier

MaxAmp20 * 2 from www.accusafe.nl

Battery

12.8V / 10Ah LiFePO4 battery from www.euroenergy.co.uk - 1.5kg

Management

Solar

Will be added at some point

Overall Weight

8.9kg (speakers and battery)

11kg (cabinet)

##kg (electronics)

Will obviously post updates on here, but any obvious comments on the above and any amplifier advice?

Will not be starting build for another month, so plenty of time to refine ideas.

Thanks,

Dupe…

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 10 November 2015 at 1:50pm
Dupe...
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 7:24pm
Right now the obvious choice for amp is miniDSPand 2 maxamp20.

That being said, I'm currently in the last steps of finally making a passive filter that will fit both a HP10W and a S2010 crossed to a PHT407N by only moving a single resistor from one position to another. If made on a PCB it would just mean moving a single jumper. Specifically it's a resistor being moved from being either parallel to the series resistor or the parallel resistor on an L-pad so a non-critical component.

You should also note that PCBs are finally being made for the shiznit amp, now renamed to cAMP for trademark reasons. I could write a whole novel about the features that will have but I'll list some of the main features here:

- available late June/early July 2014 (Is our best estimate right now). Priced around $200 retail.

- up to 2x50W into 4 ohm at 0.2% THD

Here I have to note why it says "up to", it's because it runs directly on a 12V battery but if input signal is turned up beyond a certain point an internal dc-dc converter kicks in and raises the voltage as needed up to 24V. The dc-dc converter is one of the most efficient ones ever made in this voltage range and the efficiency in this set up is even better than what the chip manufacturer states is possible, average efficiency when on is around 97% (for the dc-dc converter). 

- Idle consumption: 470µA or 0.006W

Here I also have to note that the amp have a higher idle consumption as long as there is input signal. It turns itself on and off. The signal time out is 60 seconds (at the moment can be made shorter). Start up time from sleep is 20ms.

- 2A solar multi-chemistry battery charger with MPPT. Optimized specifically for CGIS/thin film panels and LiFePO4 batteries but can be used with any solar panel or DC voltage source and other battery types at slightly reduced efficiency.

- Innovative single RGB LED status monitoring that shows both amp status and battery status in a whole new and intuitive way.

- Programmable (limited at first) DSP for equalization among others things. Built-in clip limiter and several other functions but that is to be fleshed out and can be user added later with little effort.

- On board DIP switches to switch between different operating modes.

Let's say you have S2010s and PHT407N, then you set the corresponding DIP switch for that and the EQ is automatically set to suit the optimum for that.

- Custom made aluminium case with IP66 rating from Hammond Mfg.

Actually I could go on and on about how many considerations and completely new never-seen-before solutions we, or rather the designer Gary Marsh, have crammed into this single 80x100mm PCB. My own involvement is limited to help in laying out the principle features and adding some touches here and there.

Edited by Saturnus - 08 May 2014 at 10:46pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 12:21am
jizzin'it!
If I was in your position I'd buy the MiniAmp to go with MiniDSP and look to upgrade to the cAMP down the road... then use the Mini things for a smaller project
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:39am
Saturnus,

Thanks for the information, the new amp / controller sounds great and may be an option depending on how quick I get the speakers and timber put together. If you need a test bed let me know and happy to Beta test it for you?

I also like the idea of the minidsp set up as suggested by BitSmasher, I have a few other projects which this could be useful on so will get one to play with anyway.

Thanks,

Dupe...
Dupe...
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:57am
The built-in DSP in the cAMP is the same as in the miniDSP, so it should be possible to use it precisely as a miniDSP as well. There'll be a 4 channel version later btw.

Delivery date for first batch is June 12th I'm told.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:06am
Thats pretty close, I better get some wood bought.

Dupe....
Dupe...
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 3:08pm
Saturnus,

Just getting the timber and cnc sorted and now looking at wood glue, only used pva before from evostik (green bottle), i note in several of your posts you suggest a epoxy based glue. Would something like this be suitable?

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Resin-W-Weatherproof-Exterior-Wood-Adhesive/5

Thanks,

Dupe...
Dupe...
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:10am
Updated first post and added links to suppliers etc.

Dupe...
Dupe...
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 2:01pm
I have been attempting to understand the power requirements today, doing some pretty basic calculations and assuming the following:

Minidsp pulls 0.08A
2 * maxamp20 pull 0.4A at reasonable volume
Will be used off grid for 1 week
Will be used for 8hrs / day
Its summer (in the UK that means 4 hrs max sunshine)

I recon I need:

Minimum 10W solar panel
Minimum 7Ah battery (assumes 50% discharge between getting topped up with sun)

Does this sound about right?

Dupe...

Dupe...
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 2:28pm
The normal advice is that one maxamp (or amp6) match with one 10W thin film panel and one 7.2Ah battery.

Given that you have 2 maxamp's I'd reckon a 15W thin film panel and a 9-10Ah lifepo4 or 2x 7.2Ah SLA would match and actually make the battery life about 2-3 months in the summer if care is taken that it's placed in the Sun every day.

That's because a 2-way maxamp where each only have one channel doing bass and the other treble uses far less power than if both channels did full-range. A guesstimate would be that each amp would consume 0.25A at absolute max volume and half that turned down just a notch or two.

Edited by Saturnus - 12 May 2014 at 2:31pm
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:02pm
Saturnus, thanks for the great info, just updated my calculation with the 250mA consumption and agree with your numbers. In theory should run indefinitely if I can get 4 hours of sun a day.

Any advice on the glue, is the one I linked to above the type you suggest on other forums?

Dupe...
Dupe...
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:12pm
And even if there doesn't appear to be sun, you'll still get some output from the panels. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>