Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator build (UK)...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

And even if there doesn't appear to be sun, you'll still get some output from the panels. 

If it's thin film or CIGS panels, yes. Monocrystalline or polycrystalline, not so much. With crystalline panels even light shade, or a fraction of the panel completely shaded, only about 5% of the total area is plenty, will almost completely eliminate any power from a crystalline panel making them pretty useless for this purpose. I cannot strongly enough advice to get thin film or CIGS panels. In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying that if you can't get/afford anything else than crystalline panels, you might as well not bother at all.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Any advice on the glue, is the one I linked to above the type you suggest on other forums?

No. Epoxy glue is always two-component. And some seriously nasty stuff to work with. Remember gloves, and doing it outside or in a very well ventilated room.

If you don't want to use epoxy glue, I can fully understand that. In that case any PU based glue instead.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Any advice on the glue, is the one I linked to above the type you suggest on other forums?

No. Epoxy glue is always two-component. And some seriously nasty stuff to work with. Remember gloves, and doing it outside or in a very well ventilated room.

If you don't want to use epoxy glue, I can fully understand that. In that case any PU based glue instead.

I've used epoxy on fibre glass door builds, but not for builing cabinets, never even crossed my mind. Something like this with a slow hardener?

Dupe...

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 12 May 2014 at 9:56pm
Dupe...
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 8:23am
Hello Dupe...
Try maplins for a 15w amorphous panel i got one B grade for £30 for A grade is £55.
You just have to take the plastic edging off and it should fit the top of yer Boominator perfectly.
I say should as the actual panel dimensions (without the plastic) are 90(l) x 29(w) cm
I haven't taken mine apart yet as i found these on fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231191431238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 only 4watts in total but you could have 4 cells to make 8 watts.

Got my 12mm birch plywood cut yesterday, from Robbins Timber in Bristol very good service £33 for a 1520x1520mm sheet all cut up better than i could ever do with a hand saw. Oh and its 9 layers of laminate. Cant wait for the weekend to get building me Boominator.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 9:30pm
Thanks for info, good to here from another UK Boominator builder, keep us updated with the progress. We should arrange a meetup of UK Boominators, I'm in the Midlands...

I have started to estimate the weight of the one I am building, you couldn't pop your timber on some scales so I can update the first post?

Cheers,

Dupe...

PS. Whats the spec of yours?
Dupe...
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 10:00pm
Expect about 25-28kg in total with SLA Batteries.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 10:54pm
Thats pretty good with sla batteries, i'm aiming for less than 20kg with neo everything and lipo batteries...

Dupe....
Dupe...
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:09pm
Should be about 17-18kg with neos and lifepo4 batteries.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Should be about 17-18kg with neos and lifepo4 batteries.

Great, less than i thought.

Thanks,

Dupe...
Dupe...
gump View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 11:22pm
Sounds like a great build!

I used Everbuild Lumberjack 30min Polyurethane adhesive for my cabs. Great stuff that cures quickly so less waiting. It does gap fill though, so be careful if using!

Looking forward to pics.
belton_local View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belton_local Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2014 at 5:42pm
I am considering a similar boominator build. Have you changed the dimensions of the box to suit magnet to magnet mounting of the basslite while maintaining the internal volume?
Mustard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 4:41pm
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Extremely tempted to build a boominator, thanks for all the time you've clearly taken in its development.  
I just got an e-mail back from blue aran staying they were expecting a shipment of p-audio HP-10w sometime in august, so I am aiming to get materials+funds together to start my build then.. 

I have been following the custom PCB thread on diyaudio with interest.
I was wondering if the cAMP is likely to be shipping by then?
Would i be correct in assuming that as its only currently 2 channel (?) that it wouldn't be suitable to for use with the PHT407N, just the piezos? However with the pcb you mentioned in your first reply that i would no longer need to biamp+dsp? If so any idea if/when these might be available for purchase? 

I like the idea of the cAMP, as although I am fine with wood work and some normal PA stuff, trying to cobble together charge controllers, dsp, amps, etc is somewhat intimidating but I do really like the idea of avoiding using piezo's if possible. 

Sorry if I've asked any silly questions, I have read the wiki+alot of the threads over the past month but its quite a bit to take in and I'm alot better at learning practically. 

Thanks, 
           Mustard 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>