Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator build (UK)...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 6:32pm
Started cutting the holes today!
First time with a Jigsaw, a bit tricky to start but got the hang of it quickly.
Sanding is gonna be a long slog, oh well its a labor of love.
This 9 layer ply is a dream to work with. I am loving this project.
First pics

The solar im gonna use are 2w panels one on each side

Thats all for now trying to get this done by next sunday wish me luck....

Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 6:33pm
Forgot to say Hello Mustard......... hello mustard and welcome. Wink
Brummiejon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Mustard Mustard wrote:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Extremely tempted to build a boominator, thanks for all the time you've clearly taken in its development.  
I just got an e-mail back from blue aran staying they were expecting a shipment of p-audio HP-10w sometime in august, so I am aiming to get materials+funds together to start my build then.. 

I have been following the custom PCB thread on diyaudio with interest.
I was wondering if the cAMP is likely to be shipping by then?
Would i be correct in assuming that as its only currently 2 channel (?) that it wouldn't be suitable to for use with the PHT407N, just the piezos? However with the pcb you mentioned in your first reply that i would no longer need to biamp+dsp? If so any idea if/when these might be available for purchase? 

I like the idea of the cAMP, as although I am fine with wood work and some normal PA stuff, trying to cobble together charge controllers, dsp, amps, etc is somewhat intimidating but I do really like the idea of avoiding using piezo's if possible. 

Sorry if I've asked any silly questions, I have read the wiki+alot of the threads over the past month but its quite a bit to take in and I'm alot better at learning practically. 

Thanks, 
           Mustard 
Hi Mustard
I built my boominator last year using HP10's and the PHT407N's, I love it
I used a passive filter because the idea of biamping and DSP's was a step too far for me....
I'm happy with the results but will be building a biamped one in the future now I understand what I'm doing a bit more...

If you want to biamp, maybe you could use a Camp for the main speakers and a maxamp for the tweeters....

You do need to read as much of the main thread on DIYaudio as possible and have a go, you'll learn a lot more by thinking it through yourself than just asking the same old questions.......

Good luck mate

BJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Gavos Gavos wrote:

Started cutting the holes today!
First time with a Jigsaw, a bit tricky to start but got the hang of it quickly.
Sanding is gonna be a long slog, oh well its a labor of love.
This 9 layer ply is a dream to work with. I am loving this project.
First pics

The solar im gonna use are 2w panels one on each side

Thats all for now trying to get this done by next sunday wish me luck....

Looking good Gavos..... good luck

dont forget....... dont screw the drivers down onto the baffle too hard and compress the gasket, they just need holding in place whist the sealant dries.....

JP
Gavos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 4:31pm
Thanks Jon......
I will remember that one, think i saw your post on diyaudio about that one.
What type of sealant did you use I know it has to be acid free?
Did alot of sanding last night, got my wood glue today of the carpenters on my site. So all set for gluing together!!!
Gav

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 8:50pm

Thanks Jon......
I will remember that one, think i saw your post on diyaudio about that one.
What type of sealant did you use I know it has to be acid free?
Did alot of sanding last night, got my wood glue today of the carpenters on my site. So all set for gluing together!!!
Gav

it is known as Neutral cure silicone sealant in the UK..... I used

LOW MODULUS SILICONE SEALANT NEUTRAL CURE works fine, messy stuff to work with tho....

and I used this epoxy to glue up..............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-Materials-1-Hour-Speed-Epoxy-224g-AD50-/140456658729?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item20b3de8729

cheers

BJ
Mustard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 9:04pm

Forgot to say Hello Mustard......... hello mustard and welcome. Wink

Thanks.. :) 

Originally posted by Brummiejon Brummiejon wrote:

Originally posted by Mustard Mustard wrote:

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Extremely tempted to build a boominator, thanks for all the time you've clearly taken in its development.  
I just got an e-mail back from blue aran staying they were expecting a shipment of p-audio HP-10w sometime in august, so I am aiming to get materials+funds together to start my build then.. 

I have been following the custom PCB thread on diyaudio with interest. 
I was wondering if the cAMP is likely to be shipping by then? 
Would i be correct in assuming that as its only currently 2 channel (?) that it wouldn't be suitable to for use with the PHT407N, just the piezos? However with the pcb you mentioned in your first reply that i would no longer need to biamp+dsp? If so any idea if/when these might be available for purchase? 

I like the idea of the cAMP, as although I am fine with wood work and some normal PA stuff, trying to cobble together charge controllers, dsp, amps, etc is somewhat intimidating but I do really like the idea of avoiding using piezo's if possible. 

Sorry if I've asked any silly questions, I have read the wiki+alot of the threads over the past month but its quite a bit to take in and I'm alot better at learning practically. 

Thanks, 
           Mustard 
Hi Mustard
I built my boominator last year using HP10's and the PHT407N's, I love it
I used a passive filter because the idea of biamping and DSP's was a step too far for me....
I'm happy with the results but will be building a biamped one in the future now I understand what I'm doing a bit more...

If you want to biamp, maybe you could use a Camp for the main speakers and a maxamp for the tweeters....

You do need to read as much of the main thread on DIYaudio as possible and have a go, you'll learn a lot more by thinking it through yourself than just asking the same old questions.......

Good luck mate

BJ

Cool beans, thanks for the reply. I think to begin with I'll see if the cAMP is available in august when the HP10's come back in stock, if so I'll get that and see if I can use it and a passive filter to the PHT407n's, maybe with an eye to add another amp at some point. Not too fussed about biamping, but was under the impression that I might have to if I wanted to use the 407n's..   If not I guess I'll work something else out. I'm slowly getting through that thread, I'll try to lurk some more so  I don't ask the same old questions. Thanks for your time. :) 
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 11:03pm
It's only necessary if you're going with the SN10MB woofers for the Boominator Signature. It's required because of their bandwith limitation. The passive filter has a very gentle slope compared to a digital (DSP, bi-amp) one. So it will let a lot of unwanted frequenties through. The HP10W and PHT407N go together perfectly well with a passive filter although a DSP will be slightly better (and more expensive).
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 9:15am
I'm not sure what you decided but putting a 12V amp into this would be a waste of those 10" drivers. Unless you managed to get 4ohm versions, you'll only be getting 8W a driver. Not enough to go loud imho

Use a 12-24 or 12-36V boost and a higher powered amp. Keep your Iq down and you'll be surprised how long it lasts. 
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

I'm not sure what you decided but putting a 12V amp into this would be a waste of those 10" drivers. Unless you managed to get 4ohm versions, you'll only be getting 8W a driver. Not enough to go loud imho

LOL

Obviously never heard a Boominator. Not loud enough? You crack me up.

And you do realize there's 4 hp10w's, right? So it is 4 ohm already.
English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish
< id="SL_lng_to">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="bn">Bengali< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simp)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Trad)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="eo">Esperanto< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="gu">Gujarati< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="kn">Kannada< value="ko">Korean< value="lo">Lao< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< ed="" value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="ta">Tamil< value="te">Telugu< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish

Edited by Saturnus - 19 June 2014 at 9:48am
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

Use a 12-24 or 12-36V boost and a higher powered amp. Keep your Iq down and you'll be surprised how long it lasts. 

Yeah I've recently taken to using a Sure ST508 amp for 2 of my system permutations .... powered by either 2 x series 7Ah SLA or by 1 x 7Ah SLA + 12->24V converter (for shortish run-times) or by 24Ah SLA + 12->24V converter ..... all work well, and there's no doubt the extra watts (cf. the 2020 amps) are great for playing cleaner and/or extra headroom for when I take the little mixer + mic :-)

Also got a 6S LiPo pack + balancing charger on the way (from HobbyKing) .... sneaky outfit that BTW, they hide the high shipping charges until very last bit of the shopping cart, and they seem to lie about where the goods are shipping from Angry

Edited by slaz - 19 June 2014 at 1:04pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 1:10pm
The extra headroom is nice for sure but then we're also talking severely limited run times. The Boominator can easily run for 18-20 hours on a sigle 7.2Ah battery. At full volume. Add solar panels and double the battery buffer, and you have unlimited run time a long as they get Sun every day.

A 24V amp draws far too much power to be supplied by a small 10-15W solar panel when it's "low efficiency" class D amps and lousy china dc-dc converters.

The cAMP however will revolutionize that whole aspect as it is the most efficient amp commercially available (and quite possibly ever made) in it's power range.
English »
Spanish
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Bengali
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simp)
Chinese (Trad)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Gujarati
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Korean
Lao
Latin
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish
< id="SL_lng_to">< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="bn">Bengali< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simp)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Trad)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="eo">Esperanto< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="gu">Gujarati< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="kn">Kannada< value="ko">Korean< value="lo">Lao< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< ed="" value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="ta">Tamil< value="te">Telugu< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish

Edited by Saturnus - 19 June 2014 at 1:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>