Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Views on loud music in local area ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Views on loud music in local area ?
    Posted: 26 May 2014 at 10:18pm
The following is a response on FB from a local village thread. I actually live in this village but my sound system was a few miles away in a pub car park for a legal event licenced till 11pm. We had hundreds of complaints none could be acted on as everything was legal. Just wondered what you might say to this nice lady ?

As one of the "complainers" I can categorically state that I don't play music stupidly loud at any time of the day or night because I have more consideration for other people than that. I don't object to people listening to music and having fun but when it can be heard from miles away that is incredibly selfish and ignorant. If I wanted to listen to it I would have gone to the pub. Calling people "complainers" just because they would like to listen to their own televisions or have a peaceful afternoon in the garden is just typical of the ignorant and self centred attitude that unfortunately is becoming more and more prevalent these days. If you want to listen to stupidly loud music and virtually deafen yourself then buy some headphones and don't force other people to suffer!
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 10:39pm
First of all

On a serious note, I don't mind loud music in local venues especially during the day as long as my windows are not rattling. 

I can understand older people getting annoyed with loud music and the genre, but they should understand that it's someones job to make noise :D

Edited by patryk1305 - 26 May 2014 at 10:41pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:17pm
Ignore her and move on, or you could counter that she's being selfish in wanting to watch her own TV and denying the enjoyment of others - was the event well attended? note that it's of cultural significance to many that were there, and whilst she might not understand or appreciate it, it's one afternoon out of her (miserable?) life that was impacted
BradRWills View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradRWills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:18pm
It's licenced.  End of conversation really.
Please check out my covers band! HERE!

And my live sound blog too! HERE!

b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 12:41am
Obviously I am not opposed to loud music or I would have other interests, but the problem with a situation like this and all of the "complainers" will be a toughening of the criteria for compliance with the law and/or denied permits in the future. Even with a permit, I try to avoid pissing off the natives. If there is nothing you could do, then that is how it goes, but if there is any way to point the music another direction, it would save some headaches on both sides.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:51am
How many days of the year does it happen? Is it the first time you have held it or is it annual or will it become annual? IMO 1 afternoon/evening out of 365 having to listen to music from an event and a legitimate one at that coming from somewhere off in the distance should be put up with. It was probably providing much needed income for the village pub especially as bank holiday weekends are big earners and venues all over are arranging entertainment (I personally would even expect it). If it was taking place once a month so spoiling 1 in 4 of their afternoons in the garden there would be better grounds to complain.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:00am
Looks like I can't view your link unless I sign up to Facebook, no thanks...

However, If the complaint really was from a few miles away, it might have been due to a freak of sound propagation. Sometimes, due to layers of warm and cold air, sound can travel upwards and then come back to earth a few miles away, thereby getting from an event to a distant site whilst not being audible in between.  When this happens, it's often in the evening when things start to cool down after a warm day.

It is a major problem for festivals. Some years ago, this effect combined with an over-reaction by the Noise Police caused Funktion One to lose the gig for the main stage at Glastonbury.

kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:51am
We are getting bladdered by the cops in spain right now on the mainland, Ibiza is fine.

The guys on the costa blanca do gigs till 2am inside the bars with a single pair of thoman 12 active cabs, the cheap ones, you can hear the racket of these little boxes from quite a distance, as a one off I think people should just take it on the chin, but having to endure it on a regular basis must be horrible, they issue licenses here for special events but if they get a single complaint the cops shut it down, backwards or what?

As for the lady in your post, she should have had a warm milky drink and tried to sleep through it.
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Looks like I can't view your link unless I sign up to Facebook, no thanks...

However, If the complaint really was from a few miles away, it might have been due to a freak of sound propagation. Sometimes, due to layers of warm and cold air, sound can travel upwards and then come back to earth a few miles away, thereby getting from an event to a distant site whilst not being audible in between.  When this happens, it's often in the evening when things start to cool down after a warm day.

It is a major problem for festivals. Some years ago, this effect combined with an over-reaction by the Noise Police caused Funktion One to lose the gig for the main stage at Glastonbury.

I witnessed an example of this at the weekend.  There was a local festival about five miles away from where I live.  At points you could clearly hear some kind of bass sound.  First of all I thought someone down my street was having a garden party, then I realised it was the We Are festival LOL.  Didn't bother me in the slightest.  
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:01pm
the thing about people who complain about noise is they usaully aren't complaining about the noise. what bothers them is either that they aren't in control of the situation or they don't like the people associated with that kind of music. or they have such empty lives that they actually enjoy filling it with pointless conflict. when someone calls for an end to loud music at any time of the day or night they are basically calling for an end to all live music, night clubs, concerts and festivals - pandering to their demands just makes people start thinking they are being reasonable rather than anti-social kill-joys.

if the noise really bothers them there is a cheap and easy solution:

http://www.snorestore.co.uk/acatalog/earplugs-for-sleeping.html
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:16pm
^ Clap

Definitely.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
tomr_29 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomr_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:30pm
For the last few years I've been providing sound for the local Wildlife Trust annual fundraiser. Each year they get complaints from a small group of luxury houses built a few years back near to the site. This year the council has refused their application for a license. Going by last year's turnout that means around 2500 people will miss out on a day of beer, food and music because of 3 or 4 (very well off) local residents. This is a once-a-year event on a Saturday which finishes by 11pm at the latest (last year the bands finished shortly after 10pm in an attempt to appease the complainers).

I'm not sure if its really the noise they're complaining about or if they just get annoyed by people getting lost and turning round in their little cul-de-sac and it just happens that complaining about noise is an easier way to get an event shut down.

Proper capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
www.facebook.com/tremoracoustics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>