Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Measuring Scoop response.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measuring Scoop response.
    Posted: 16 June 2014 at 2:44pm
Rather than let this get lost in the rest of the Razmataz, I thought it would be better to start again. There has been quite a lot of talk regarding how Scoops are measured and what counts and what doesn't.
I would imaging that most of us, if not all, are mainly interested in how our particular Scoops fare against others, whether we make them of just buy them for our own systems.
The last set of tests I did were on my new 21's and when The Scoop was tested against the Horn cab, it was then time to test with the matching cabs that a customer was going to put underneath them. This was also completed, and quite definite comparative results were easy to read. You may recall I used my Iasys unit for signal and measuring, and the cabs were measured in 5hz steps from 20hz to 120hz. This could be 1hz steps if so desired, but 5hz seems ok.
So, this post/thread is all about making this facility available and to see whether it is possible to organise a time in which as many different cabs can be brought together and tested. It doesn't take long to do, so a lot can be done in a few hours. This is purely a frequency response test and there is no music involved.
This test would give everyone a good starting point to understand what their particular cab is doing. Everything is recorded, for our records and we each end up with a copy of results for all the cabs tested.
This offer may turn out to be a no go, but at least I am trying to do something positive. Feel free to comment.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 2:48pm
Clap

Sounds good Tony. Let´s see if it can happen.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 2:51pm
Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 3:29pm
I'm all for it and can do the same measurements to any box that what i do in commercial R&D to give full specs on any cabinet.

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 4:10pm
If someone could plot impedence against frequency, I would be eternally grateful.  A really good idea Tony, might stop the he said/she said and give everyone a baseline/bassline Big smile they can work from.
music is the message
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 4:16pm
I can do impedance, impedance with phase, THD, waterfall, Impulse response, Phase, Group Delay, Frequency Response. You name it :)
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 4:24pm
Keep talking dirty, Pasi, I'm loving it.LOL
music is the message
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 5:52pm
All we need is time and place, I personally don't care where it is. I know this won't happen next week, So we will a consensus on where and when.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 7:03pm
sounds like a great idea, and will show what cabs actually do what... and will debunk hype, with actual truth.....

Edited by bee - 16 June 2014 at 7:04pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

I can do impedance, impedance with phase, THD, waterfall, Impulse response, Phase, Group Delay, Frequency Response. You name it :)
no no no! we don't need the skies filled with black smoke from all the peeps burning their scoops

Just a simple sweep  (hopefully not with a broom)
Mykey Wattco
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

sounds like a great idea, and will show what cabs actually do what... and will debunk hype, with actual truth.....
Get ready for some serious excuses from so called builders and why they can't make it

if you can't make it yours scoops are shit
Mykey Wattco
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 7:35pm
Ha ha :p

Which bring to the good point though. Which measurements should be done and with what parameters?

I'd say half space frequency response at 4m distance with 2.83V input and maybe then at 110dB level for THD and larger signal behaviour. Impedance and phase also at 2.83V

I think that would give pretty good comparison points to most of the modern datasheets on pro audio side as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>