Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapped horn outdoor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polomex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapped horn outdoor
    Posted: 17 June 2014 at 12:30pm
Does a tapped horn works great outside? We want to build a stack of 8 mth 4654 and since most of our raves are outdoor during the summer, I want to make sure its a great choice instead of a folded horn like the Lab horn or SBH.
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 12:44pm
I have a brand new PD186/1, laying around after my gig on Saturday I plan to build one MTH 4654 for sub duties for my almost finished BFM Omni 12 Tallboys. The MTH should move alot of air in smaller venues (200 venues) my Tallboy is a 3 way horn loaded cabs but i know the MTH's are a big cab to lug around but i need to house my 186 someplace LOL . . .Beer

Edited by T-Bone - 17 June 2014 at 12:45pm
BASS, how low can you go!
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 1:08pm
I have 8 TH's loaded with 18's and a mate of mine also has 8. Surely they are not your average TH, but i think the behavior of TH's will be relatively the same for most designs. We did a test a few weeks ago with 16 TH's outside, and the bass was fenomenal, also from a good distance. It did not drop off like i've seen and heard BR's do. (Although i must admit that being a physics student, I still can't theoretically explain the differences sometimes perceived as throw, which is just a product of source SPL and directivity)
Here is a pic of the test. Fully horn loaded system. Sound rejection to the side was immense, standing 5m in front of the stack or 5m to the side we measured a relative SPL difference of 35dB across the band , A weightedShocked, without any clever processing. 
I think you will find 8 MTH4654 pretty capable, just don't expect it will do the same damage as inside when all cabs are placed in a corner. If you have the option however, always go for a central cluster for the bass and get the mids/highs up to proper height in the stereo Left right stacks. 

Edited by Teunos - 17 June 2014 at 1:11pm
Best regards,
Teun.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 1:47pm
The directivity and throw are mostly due to stacking the bins 8 across.
The bass must of been beaming like a laser!

If you want to see a video of a TH outdoors search Youtube for 'TH18'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgY99MDAqI

This Guy built 4 of my TH18 cab design as part of a high school project. Smile

discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2014 at 2:00pm
My cbe18s work much better outside than inside!
GekoMusic94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2014 at 9:58am
Also my tapped horns works much better outside or in big rooms than in small rooms.
https://soundcloud.com/dj-uber
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2014 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

I have 8 TH's loaded with 18's and a mate of mine also has 8. Surely they are not your average TH, but i think the behavior of TH's will be relatively the same for most designs. We did a test a few weeks ago with 16 TH's outside, and the bass was fenomenal, also from a good distance. It did not drop off like i've seen and heard BR's do. (Although i must admit that being a physics student, I still can't theoretically explain the differences sometimes perceived as throw, which is just a product of source SPL and directivity)
Here is a pic of the test. Fully horn loaded system. Sound rejection to the side was immense, standing 5m in front of the stack or 5m to the side we measured a relative SPL difference of 35dB across the band , A weightedShocked, without any clever processing. 
I think you will find 8 MTH4654 pretty capable, just don't expect it will do the same damage as inside when all cabs are placed in a corner. If you have the option however, always go for a central cluster for the bass and get the mids/highs up to proper height in the stereo Left right stacks. 

Whow what are those bins? I've just been messing around with some sims not far from that with regards to the "open mouth" rather than the regular th "slot" opening
Joset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 9:31am
Hi, can I have the plans for your 18" tapped horn designs? Do you have the plans for the jth 18 btw? How is your tapped horn compare to jth 18? thx.
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2014 at 2:01pm
Hi tv00

Those bins are Teunos' own, little bit smaller version of my Miss Piggy, a 27Hz TH

http://forum.speakerplans.com/1x18-tapped-horn_topic39552_page1.html

Andy

Edit

I did an outdoor live music gig with my system last week. Did tune the subbass end with Pink Floyd's heartbeat at beginning of a record. As I know it starts from 25Hz.

It really was sufficient with 2 pigs per side for 70 people Tongue.

Also they have some sort of directivity, more than equally sized reflex stack.

And to Teun, can you reveal something about your mid cabinets, rough measurements maybe. Looks like 12" drivers. I'm interested as I'm running one or two 12" straight horns per side as needed.

Edited by AndyWave - 23 August 2014 at 3:17pm
torturing electrons since ......
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2014 at 8:15pm
I had 4 Cubos out at a fest a few weeks ago and they sounded decent in the dance area, but way off in the woods a good distance from the stack while, umm... ahemm... taking care of some business... I noticed they carried really far.  I couldn't believe the bass that far away.  Almost sounded better out in the woods.

I'd like to make 4 more someday.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2014 at 8:24pm
...shame your in the US... im getting rid of my cubo15s
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2014 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by AndyWave AndyWave wrote:

And to Teun, can you reveal something about your mid cabinets, rough measurements maybe. Looks like 12" drivers. I'm interested as I'm running one or two 12" straight horns per side as needed.
Mids are indeed double 12''. Cabs are loaded with RCF L12P11WK, monster mids but also pretty heavy. The sims showed usable response to be between 200Hz up. When i measured them for the first time, they were almost flat from 200 to 900Hz. Horn is 40cm deep and it was designed to be used with 2 per side. This is the first measurement i did, no eq lowpass or anything applied.

I cross them at 150Hz and 750Hz to the BMS coax and get great results like this, extremely clear mids with punch in the lower mids.

Btw, i just upgraded my processor from the DCX to a Fir and allpass capable processor. Today i made some new settings. This is the measurement from the complete 5-way system, TH sub, BPH kick, the double 12 mids and then the BMS coax actively driven by 2 amp channels. Subs are high passed at 38Hz, which although a little high is more than enough for most music.
+-45 degrees phase change between 50Hz and 20k. Never heard a system sound so clear before!

Mind though that this was made inside, with reflections from walls and everything, which explains the peaks and dips between below 300Hz. Can't seem to get that squiggle in the phase at 8k out of it no matter how hard i try...

Edit: 300Hz instead of 3kHz...

Edited by Teunos - 23 August 2014 at 8:50pm
Best regards,
Teun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>