Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird pub electrics...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:07am
Richie T seems to be full of good ideas doesn't he! LOL have you looked into the cost of getting a sizeable ups system? and whats the point when the majority of venues have decent supplies.... tell them to check their electrics!!
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:10am
"when he killed the main board and switched it back on it fixed itself?"

Killed what? The RCD/RCCB? That should tell you everything.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
ShokZi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShokZi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:10am
My cables were all checked about 3 days before the event, however I'm no electrician and i haven't actually checked my equipment. for the time being i have sanway amps so anything could go wrong :(

is there anyone on here willing to PAT test (and possibly bench test) my amps? i think its gonna take me like a year to save up for new ones :'(
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:13am
best not get a quote on a ups then! LOL
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:17am
first things first, get all your gear PAT tested. You should be doing this anyway for your public liability to be valid. Then if you discover no faults on your kit....speak to the landlord about his electrics, he too should have regular condition reports carried out. 
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 11:03am
The switched off and back on bit makes me think they may have some form of rcbo at the board. On some of the older types the switch only moves to the halfway position (or sometimes barely visibly moves at all) and has to be switched fully off before it can be reset.
LOUDER THAN LOUD
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by ShokZi ShokZi wrote:

My cables were all checked about 3 days before the event, however I'm no electrician and i haven't actually checked my equipment. for the time being i have sanway amps so anything could go wrong :(

is there anyone on here willing to PAT test (and possibly bench test) my amps? i think its gonna take me like a year to save up for new ones :'(

PAT testing is really cheap. Testers are practically idiot proof and can be hired from any tool shop for ~£50 a day or maybe less. Test all of your gear+cables and label them as you go if you have multiples. Stuff like amps is easy to describe via serial #s in a test log. Make this log using spreadsheet software - there are many examples on the web and now you have evidence of being PAT compliant. Obviously if something fails get it fixed and pass it before using it anymore.

If all of you gear passes, then you have some good evidence that the landlord needs to get his installation tested. Although maybe he should anyway depending on the last time it was done...
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 3:41pm
Could be worth checking with the landlord if anyone else performing at the venue has experienced a similar problem.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 5:06pm
Pat testing does not necessarily make your PLI valid (or invalid if you have not had it done) - there is no legal and/or lawful requirement to get anything PAT tested. Having said that, its worth doing and only needs to be done once every 2 years. Easy to do yourself with a simple tester like the seaward primetest 50 or 100.

One thing I will mention - get yourself a martindale socket tester. CP501 is a popular type as all lights need to be lit to prove correct wiring. If theres a fault, plug in and it will give you a quick indication of whats up.

As for the UPS - it doesnt need to be expensive. will act as power conditioner too. great if youre in a venue with a traffic light system/noise limiter ;)
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 5:09pm
By the way my matrix 5000, with four 110ah SLA 12v batteries was just over £350. Ok... i got lucky with the batts, farnell pricing error at 32p each ;)
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

The switched off and back on bit makes me think they may have some form of rcbo at the board. On some of the older types the switch only moves to the halfway position (or sometimes barely visibly moves at all) and has to be switched fully off before it can be reset.

This was my initial thinking.
Some MEM and MK RCBOs do this, I'm sure there are others.

Don't buy a UPS if you think a pub wiring is shit, or the landlord needs a lesson in how to use a switch.
Do get your gear checked and get a simple socket tester though - for your own piece of mind more than anything.
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Richie T Richie T wrote:

Having said that, its worth doing and only needs to be done once every 2 years.

Sorry, but that is completely incorrect.

PAT needs to be done at suitable intervals ... what you are supposed to do is test and inspect and it is recommended you record the results ... if you find every time you inspect it that its knackered, you are supposed to test more and more frequently ... if you can show its never had a problem you can extend the intervals.

The whole "it needs to be tested every xxxx [months|weeks|years]" thing is wrong. What the HSE will look for when/if it all goes wrong is records and more importantly some sensible corrective actions.

You don't, legally, have to do PAT at all, however, you do legally, have to ensure that electrical equipment is maintained in a safe condition.

The whole purpose of PAT is to help you defend yourself when/if someone gets fried ... showing a record book of regular tests, corrective actions, and that you had put the particular item that caused trouble on monthly inspection becuase it was found to be faulty about every 6 months .... that may well save your ass.

On top of that, the venue and or your PLI may insist on it, but thats a contractual thing.

Don't take my word for it though, the real info is here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

+1 on the socket tester though, those things are great :)

Edited by RobinMatrix - 23 June 2014 at 8:38pm
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>