Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15'' +1.4'' Midtop build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
arivel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arivel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15'' +1.4'' Midtop build
    Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:04pm
and how do they do it?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 8:49pm
Hi guys, i just saw these replies.
I see that i missed to answer quite a lot of them... Busy life as always.

Originally posted by heinrich heinrich wrote:

are those dados an 8th inch deep? or a quarter?
I didn't use dados. The entire cab is just rebated, glued and screwed with lots of stiffening in place. It's solid as a rock.

Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

Great looking boxes!  how did they sound? and how low do they go?
Thanks! They sound amazing! The dispersion on the HF is one of the best you can get with well controlled directivity down low to overlap the 15". The XT1464 has a bit of a suckout on axis around 16kHz for some reason but its almost un-noticable due to the clear highs of the NSD1480N and the absence of the suckout on axis. Distortion is audibly very low in the voacl range.

Tbh, they don't go as low as i would have liked but thats mostly due to the driver not really being the best suited for a reflex job. I tested quite some other 15" drivers in the cab with roughly suitable TS parameters and found some of them went noticably lower, but they din't have the clear low-mids i required, so i stuck with the 554k. Whenever i use them (which is not very often due to my way to busy life a.t.m.) i cross them around 85Hz to the subs, and they get plenty loud for my needs where my 12"+1" crap out too soon for any really heavy use.
In hindsight, i probably should have went with 2x12" + 1.4", but if i'd still like the HF power and controlled directivity, the options for good horns become limited due to physical size.

Yes, i do have the plans. They are as far as i know complete enough to build a set of these from.
No, i cannot guarantee your pleasure with them if i give them, only that it's pretty well engineered if i say it myself.

Best regards,
Teun.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:38pm
you need 10 points
arivel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arivel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:55pm
sorry if I write it here but I can not figure out how to send private messages.
I hope that some administrators read the message and help me.
heinrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heinrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 10:06am
are those dados an 8th inch deep? or a quarter?

nice build!

Edited by heinrich - 15 June 2016 at 10:14am
.....power is nothing without control....
nenadd66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nenadd66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 7:31pm
Do you have project for this box?
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2015 at 10:06pm
Great looking boxes!  how did they sound? and how low do they go?

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2015 at 3:09am
A+
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2015 at 2:18am
Nice build. How these sounding?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 12:42am
Looking Good.

What paint did you use, applied with a textred roller?
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 8:42pm
Good workClap
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 9:55am
So back on topic. I've finished painting two of the four cabinets, and have assembled one of them. The weather was nice the last few days so was a pleasure finishing these up. Only the grills left to attach, but i don't have them yetOuch.
Soldering the cap in place

Paint Finish. Unfortunately i still have one joint open on the top panel, i was pretty sure i had all of them closed but i only realised my mistake after paint...

Speakers in place :)
The screws in the handles are not final, i will be getting black screws with a rounded had and flat back, instead of the conical screws in place right now.

Edited by Teunos - 07 July 2014 at 9:57am
Best regards,
Teun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>