Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15'' +1.4'' Midtop build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15'' +1.4'' Midtop build
    Posted: 02 July 2014 at 12:02pm
For a while i've been wanting to build some decent mid tops. I've allready got 2 8''+1'' reflex tops, and 4 double 12'' hornloaded midtops but nothing really in between for 70% of all venues we cover. So the idea for this project was to have a ''compact'' very capable midtop to fit inbetween the double 12'' hornloaded and 8'' tops. 
The choices were either a single 15'' plus a 2'' or 1.4'' driver, or a double 12'' plus 1'' midtop. 
I did some designing and prtototyping with both configurations to measure dispersion and thought a 15'' + large horn would be the best for my use.
I chose an RCF L15/554K woofer and 18sound NSD1480 driver on an 18sound XT1464 horn. This horn is for me ideal. It does not have a diffraction slot, it has proper terminal roundover to avoid reflections and is large enough to give proper directionality to match the 15'' woofer.

So first some sketchupping of the final design.
I wanted the cab to be properly braced, so the front panel will be braced to the rear of the cabinet. Also on the top and bottom panel is a brace as well as a vertical brace running in a routed groove along the length of one of the side panels.
I chose to do 4 circular ports because this would fit perfectly inside the cab without needing to increase the size of the cab. As the cab was already on the large side, i did not want to increase it further.

I did my double 12'' plus horn also with a fully routered top and bottom panel, which i liked very much due to ease of final construction as well as constructional strength. So these cabs are also routered  wherever i found it possible.

I routed the front panels using a distance guide on my router, the holes for the 15'' also with the router.

Most time and effort went into making the top and bottom panels. 
First i cut the panels with basic dimensions and routered the groove for the baffles.

Then i routered the groove for the side panels at the front and the rear panels.

I then made a template for the radius on the front and the trapezium shape of the side panels. This template was screwed onto the top and bottom panels. I then used a straight cutter bit on the router table and used the fence as a guide for the template, effectively copying the template onto the panel.

Then the rest of the side panel grooves were routered and the top and bottom panels finished.

I then cut all the other panels and started the other router work. The connector panel:

Dry fitting

The braces on the top/bottom panels screwed and glued into place, as well as the ports in the front panels (80mm 3mm Thick PVC).
On the back of the baffles i placed an additional stiffening 

The central brace from the front to the back of the cab

Routing the groove for the stiffening on the side panels.
And in place

Dry fitting with a 15'' frame to check for clearance with the mounting pieces for the grill

At that moment i got a good offer for steel handles and decided i was going for steel bar handles instead of the planned routered handles. I ended up putting in a single bar handle on either side, and a corner bar handle on the top and bottom.

During final assembly i only made this picture.
I used the straps to pull the panels together in the middle to ensure a perfect gapless connection. 

all four cabs are now filled and sanded awaiting paint. Unfortunately i have to finish a big report for school and work is busy, so progress will be slow from now on.
I did however already put the drivers and horn into one cab, must say i'm rather pleased with the way it looks. Don't know the final combination sounds yet, but don't expect a major difference from the prototype (which i binned as the build quality was rather lousy, and it was mdf).

Edited by Teunos - 08 July 2014 at 4:40pm
Best regards,
Teun.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 12:16pm
very nice.

AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 12:27pm
Proper effort, routings and all. Clap
torturing electrons since ......
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 1:01pm
Stunning Teun, lovely!
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 1:13pm
Very bautifull.I would love 2 of those.I have 2 x15" RCF drivers lying arround awaiting for a project like this.Gonna save for the CD and will build something similar in the future. Are you planning to go active or passive between the drivers?
Measure twice...cut once.
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 2:27pm
Excellent work there.

Rish
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:23pm
Top notch build so far!

Quality materials and great attention to detail. I'd love to hear these someday.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 6:08pm
Thanks guys! @Daniel, these cabs will be actively powered. For now that will mean there will be two speakons on the back, but i might put amp modules in them at some point to make some fully capable tops i can deploy everywhere. The only passive components i will use for these is a dc protection 60uF 450v mkp capacitor.
Best regards,
Teun.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 6:54pm
Excellent work, you should get very good results.  The XT1464 horn is large but sounds very, very good!
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 7:46pm
great build, really tidy result

Reverence Sound system

jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 7:47pm
nice build Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 11:28pm
Nice work
What defined the angles of the side panels?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>