Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini boombox with sp-60/4 v.2 in plywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini boombox with sp-60/4 v.2 in plywood
    Posted: 09 July 2014 at 8:46pm
After a failed try to build a portable boombox with the monacor sp-60/4 drivers in a IKEA Pluggis storage box (it was too small after the necessary bracing with wood) I will now build one in plywood.

I am using:

2 x Monacor SP60/4
2 x Dayton ND16FA-6
2 x 6.8uF Capacitors
2 x 35mm x 120mm bass reflex tubes
1 x 7ah SLA battery
1 x AMP6-basic

The inside of the box will be 25 x 20 x 17 cm., leaving me with 8,5 liters so I can hit a net on 7 liters after subtracting the battery and drivers.

I have two questions:

Will 120mm plywood be ok, or should I go for 150mm or even thicker?

Can I brace the inside of the box with something like wool or cutton or something, to make it sound less echo'ish?

I will post pictures along the way :-)
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:42pm
I used 10mm. Worked fine.
No need for bracing really at that size.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:52pm
Wow just 10mm? What is the size of your box? It doesn't sound a little echo'ish? Do you have a picture of it and maybe even the build process? Thank you :-)
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 10:08pm
Here...

and here...

No echo, tight and nice sounding with no wadding or bracing.
10mm Birch is very strong in such small panel sizes.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 11:10am
Ah, you made those. They look great, I bet your kids love them :-)

I accidentally blew off my amp6 yesterday. I have ordered a maxamp from Accusafe, and will wait until my friend can help me with the electronics next week to put it all together.
The box is roughly done, and I'm sure it will sound so much better than the plastic box from IKEA :-)
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 11:28am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 11:56am
Doesn't display, right click; open image in new tab solves it tho. 

Looks very nice, even nicer than the Pluggis box IMO. After glueing everything you can remove the screws and use woodfiller to fill up the gaps. Then sand and apply paint. Does this one get the same finish as the Pluggis?

I can recommend to use weatherstrip or sealant around the speakers. Screwed in they aren't airtight.
Maybe go for a frame wrapped in speaker cloth as grill?  
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 1:04pm
Thank you very much. 

I haven't decided on a color yet - we have just had three days with exceptional hot weather, and as it will probably be used in the sun the most, I am afraid of the black color. Maybe gray or white. 

Do you really think it will be rugged enough with only wood filling in the screw holes? No screws at all? I have used plenty of glue though. 

And I was thinking of using sealant around the speakers from the inside to make them completely airtight, as well as the mounting plate with switches too. 

And yes, a frame wrapped in speaker cloth is exactly my idea :) 

Uh, I can't wait to get my new amp and finish it. Do you know what kind of fuse I should put on the + cable by the battery? I don't want it to happen again!! 
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 1:49pm
The MaxAmp has a built-in fuse and is short circuit protected. An extra fuse near the battery is always a good idea though, and probably faster than the built in fuse. The MaxAmp survives 500V DC spikes and 8kV easily :).

I would use a 4A fast fuse.

Edited by WesleyK - 11 July 2014 at 1:50pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 1:51pm
White will show damage very fast. Silver or gray is indeed a good alternative.

When glued properly, glue is stronger than screws so no problem there. 

How exactly did you blow your amp? I thought the AMP6 had a fuse onboard. If its due to reversed polarity, the MaxAmp has reverse polarity protection :). Fusing your battery is always a smart thing, to prevent shorting and possible fires. Your local car shop probably has some fuses+holders laying around. Look for a 5A fuse.

Don't use toxic sealant as it may 'eat' the paper of your woofers. I use acrylic sealant (water based).

m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 2:07pm
Thank you!

Would you say the maxamp has a higher output gain than the amp6? I think the amp6 I had was all up to highest.

Also, I just got a fiio e6 - can this be used for a higher volume with the maxamp? I bought it to use with my amp6, as the output on iPhone was very low - on my laptop it was extremely loud though.

I will look for water based sealant - thanks :)

Well, I actually don't know how it happened - can it happen when + and - hits each other? (The speaker wires). I was removing some solder from the tweeter, but I destroyed both the amp and the tweeter - damn, I really gotta have some help with that, haha :-)
m4gnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m4gnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 2:10pm
I forgot to ask: how do one glue properly? Input a stripe out on both pieces of wood and used my finger to get it around everywhere where the pieces would be put together. Hopefully that'll do? :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>