Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions on an Analogue Limiter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions on an Analogue Limiter
    Posted: 04 August 2014 at 9:08pm
I still posses my original analogue processors when I moved to digital processing in the late 1990s. I am looking to make one of my systems remain digital processing/analogue amplification while the other will revert back to analogue processing/analogue amplification.

With that being said, I am planning to upgrade my analogue limiters since I am happy with my existing parametric equalisers in addition to crossovers. At the moment, I own the Aphex Dominator(s) in which I don’t fancy the sound. I am leaning more to wards the some dbx 160As or some UREI 1176 copies.

I am open to suggestions on some vintage (original or copies) analogue limiters.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 7:45am
what dont you like about the dominators? Theyre my fave limiter?
LOUDER THAN LOUD
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 1:16pm
Quote Theyre my fave limiter?

Mine too...
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 2:24pm

Detent controls
Pumps
Kills the Bass
Ducks the High Frequencies
dB indicators cannot display anything below –15. If all I want is –2 dB to –4 dB of limiting the indicators are not designed to offer such an indication.

The compressor appears to be hard knee, which is not my cup of tea. Such behaviour is typical with multi-band compressors. I prefer single band compressors using a soft knee.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 August 2014 at 2:27pm
Elliot Thompson
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2014 at 7:12pm
It sounds like you are looking for a more versatile unit - the Dominator was specifically designed as a brick-wall limiter, a job at which it excels. But it doesn't do anything else...

If you want something adjustable and artistic, I think you will just have to try as many of the "classic" limiters and compressors as you can, until you find the one you like best.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2014 at 5:12am
It looks like it will be the dbx 160 and/or the UREI 1176 clone as they offer what I am looking for.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2014 at 9:49am
Note taking, in progress.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2014 at 4:09pm
My Bellari Valve Compressor should be arriving today. The dbx 160 is sitting at the courier office. As I don't want to miss the arrival of Bellari getting the dbx 160, I will compare the Bellari Valve Compressor to a dbx 166 (no suffix) and, the old Aphex Dominator II.

No single drumbeats will be used, as it is not useful for our line of work. I will use bass/high frequency music signals. I will post some videos when I have a chance.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2014 at 3:48pm
Here is a video comparing the Aphex Dominator II vs the Bellari RP282a (Valve Compressor) vs the dbx 166 (no suffix). I will pick up the UREI 1176 clone by the end of the month and, compare it to the dbx 166, dbx 160 in addition to the Bellari RP 282a. As for the Aphex, too much distortion for my taste.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2014 at 1:01am
not really vintage, but
Focusrite Mixmaster
is a great rig controller.
1. gate for between songs
2. multiband compressor
3. 3 band parametric eq
4. centre-wide processor
5. really nice limiter. safe to spank.
also, if you get one with the A/D out, you've got a perfect recording point.

Edited by opus jody - 09 August 2014 at 1:02am
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
 Post Reply Post Reply