Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tannoy iQ18B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tannoy iQ18B
    Posted: 30 September 2014 at 4:59pm
I've just been called to a job where they've lost a considerable chunk of their bass after a heavy weekend...

Bins are 4 x Tannoy iQ18B's (APA branded), 2 out of the 4 are dead, 1 is dying, barely any output.

Thing is, after taking a look, they're loaded with PD1850's - the correct driver?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

They don't look like they've ever had anything but PD's in them...
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 5:52pm
APA probably stands for Action PA which is run by a chap called Alastair in NW London. PM me if you need his number. 
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by VentureSound VentureSound wrote:

APA probably stands for Action PA which is run by a chap called Alastair in NW London. PM me if you need his number. 

Yeah that's right - I was under the impression these were 186 loaded, so was surprised to find an 1850... PM coming your way
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 1:11pm
Been told the original driver in the Tannoy ones is a 4504 - anyone know if this is a rebadged something? As Tannoy want 450 each for them...
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Been told the original driver in the Tannoy ones is a 4504 - anyone know if this is a rebadged something? As Tannoy want 450 each for them...

Only 4504 I know of is the Volt, £450 would be a bit of a markup if it is that one (compare here).

HTH,
David.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 1:51pm
That doesn't ring true with the bolt PCD, which fits the 1850 and 186 - no modifications evident to the cab.

Can't help thinking 186's might suit the box better. 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

That doesn't ring true with the bolt PCD, which fits the 1850 and 186 - no modifications evident to the cab.

Can't help thinking 186's might suit the box better. 

Hmm, good point, guess Tannoy must've come up with that model number independently then.
Sorry can't be of more help,
David.

Edit - typo.

Edited by DMorison - 03 October 2014 at 12:44pm
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 8:52am
As a Tannoy user myself, I know that their professional equipment drivers are usually sourced from other manufacturers. I've tried to cross reference the driver and find the original, but in this case, I can't find it.
Could I suggest RMJ loudspeakers, or Wembley loudspeakers? They might be able to recone. Tannoy's main agent for spares is Lockwood Audio.  
There is also a trader on ebay, using the ID mainlytannoy, dealing mostly in hi fi, but does come up with the odd bit of pro gear, might just be able to help with the sourcing.
The best bet is, and, as I say, my sources have run out, to find the original manufacturer. Maybe, take one out and examine it carefully, even post a pic on here...
My iq10s have Fane Acoustics moulded around the outer edge of the casting, my B400s have PHL labels on the magnets, and I've found that the B950s are Celestion (Not labelled as such) and T40s are RCF.
i8s and i12s are actual Tannoy drivers.
And I've just re-read the original post, I missed the statement that they've got PD 1850s in it's highly possible they're original.

Edited by funkyparrot - 21 February 2018 at 8:36am
wybert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wybert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 3:56am
Just opened my IQ18B's. The driver don't have any brand or model name on it only some mostly unreadable numbers and/or letters on the back of the cone and a white sticker with '26 okt 00' on it, which i assume to be a production date. If i look at its design i think it's a Fane as you can see on the photo's, also the drivers for the IQ10 are Fane's which make me believe it is the original driver. Offcourse it could be possible they produced a batch with PD drivers.

https://ibb.co/gsYasc -
https://ibb.co/ifomyH -
https://ibb.coKCeJH -
https://ibb.co/bH9RyH -
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:06am
Takes me back 4 years!

These look like they’d be more OEM, so maybe the APA cloned IQ18B’s came with 1850’s in as an ‘upgrade’...
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 8:54am
Being notified of this has drawn my attention to an error in my last post (Dated 2014) B950s, not B400s, I've edited it!, have Celestions.

Looking at the shape of the casting,(Curved and straight edges, push in terminals, colour....) it's very similar to the IQ10 (I've posted the only shot I can find here) These have Fane Acoustics cast into the curved section of outer rim, as from viewpoint, below

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2018 at 9:11am
Edit. Wrong info

Edited by nickyburnell - 21 February 2018 at 9:12am
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>