Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DCX EQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DCX EQ
    Posted: 05 October 2014 at 7:36pm
Hi, should know the definitive answer but always puzzled me?

EQ: On the inputs or individual outs?

Ta
It just is.
Goodvibetribe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodvibetribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2014 at 7:47pm
Individual speaker correction Eq on the outputs. Flattening or EQing the whole system on the inputs
George c - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk facebook.com/gorillaaudiohire
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2014 at 7:52pm
OK ta

Edited by The Builder - 06 October 2014 at 10:58am
It just is.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Hi, should know the definitive answer but always puzzled me?

EQ: On the inputs or individual outs?

Ta

!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 6:09pm
Constructive.

So let's look at this: I would always EQ system on the inputs because I remeber analogue crossovers with graphic eq's in front of them. Having said that does it matter if someone does it on the individual outs, knowing they want to, for arguments sake, boost their bass cabs by 5db @ 40hz? If it does matter then why?
 I think on a DIY forum it's a valid issue, thank God I'm old enough to not have an ego and ask the question. Wouldn't mind betting their are many newbies, learners and starters who don't ask questions like this because of the hostility and snotty nosed bollocks of some.
 Thank you GoodVibeTribe for your answer, hope it helps others to learn.
It just is.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 6:23pm
You should do it on the input stage so that any phase shift affects all drivers equally. If you do it on the per channel output stages you will affect one section of the PA only and will cause phase anomalies around the overlap/crossover points
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 6:31pm
True but sometimes where you don't have enough channels and are using the xover, you may have to do it on the outputs to reign any room anoalies in.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You should do it on the input stage so that any phase shift affects all drivers equally. If you do it on the per channel output stages you will affect one section of the PA only and will cause phase anomalies around the overlap/crossover points

I would think that is a bit irrelevant in this case it is digital so all is within the DSP's so where are the filter phase errors?
normal to apply in band corrections if required so does not matter where in the chain it is unlike an analogue setup where the above is very pertinent as the filters will most certainly exhibit phase errors 
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 7:52pm
DSP phase errors occur for each type of EQ or crossover filter as with the analog equivalents that are being emulated digitally.

That is assuming that you don't have FIR Filters in your DSP, which the DCX doesn't

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 9:40pm
I see Zeros & 1's NOT my thing at all. So i stand corrected. incidentally of what Magnitude are these errors?
If I had perhaps taken a moment to consider Clocks etc it would have been more apparent.

If these errors are of significant non linearity or have a time vector of Musically significant period they will really matter. but i guess there are still less than analogue? or still comparable?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

I see Zeros & 1's NOT my thing at all. So i stand corrected. incidentally of what Magnitude are these errors?
If I had perhaps taken a moment to consider Clocks etc it would have been more apparent.

If these errors are of significant non linearity or have a time vector of Musically significant period they will really matter. but i guess there are still less than analogue? or still comparable?

Non-FIR DSP's basically aim to emulate standard analogue responses, so for example if you input a 6dB, 1000Hz cut with Q=3 on an analogue PEQ and then do the same in the DCX, you should end up with exactly the same amount of phase shift either way.

Couple of caveats though - in analogue, you can be limited by the resolution of the silkscreening on the front of the panel, and the exact pot taper & component tolerance may make things a little approximate, so I really should have said if you "achieve" matching cuts on the 2 platforms rather than simply "input".
Similarly on the digital side, there are some aspects of how things like Q are calculated (especially for filter magnitudes less than 3dB) that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so again the correlation between input value and actual response should really be checked.
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Goodvibetribe Goodvibetribe wrote:

Individual speaker correction Eq on the outputs. Flattening or EQing the whole system on the inputs

+1 .. keeps it all simple and easy to understand.
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>