Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What subs to build?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satta sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What subs to build?
    Posted: 19 November 2014 at 12:02pm
Greetings,
We own a operate a reggae soundsystem which mainly play roots (but also some new dub).
At this point we own 4 double 15 inch scoops.

The scoops are loaded with fane 15xb and powered by a Crown 5000vz and a QSC Plx3602
As we want more sub bass in our system we are looking for new cabs to build.
We want to build 4 or 6 cabs, size doesn't really matter as we are used to these giant double scoops.
We also want to build some kick/upper bass cabs (we were thinking double 15" reflex or hd15's)
For sub we are not sure, maybe we want to build an alternative to the classic scoops everyone uses.
We have a couple of fane 18xb's that we want to use for now, but we can upgrade in the future.
What about Martin WSX or WLX, Danley TH118, Super Bass Horn, Invader bin?
Or should we stick to scoops? And what scoop can we load with fane 18xb and upgrade in the future to pd's/turbomax or maybe obertons? Been looking at Eminence, Cow, Bull, Staiper's, Hogs.
What do you think?
Thanks

djkrusada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkrusada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 12:27pm
nice looking rig! reflex 21 seems to be popular with the reggae crews for mega low bass alongside scoops. you could fit a nice row of 4 or 6 under the scoops perhaps? Disclaimer: I am far from an expert on these matters so I might be talking complete $%^&
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 12:56pm
Classic looking rig, loving the lenses. Clap

Where in the Netherlands are you based? I would really like to hear this lot sometime!

As for your question. My best bet would be some reflex boxes, think g-sub, B&C sub 18, etc. who all could also be used without kick/upper bass cabs. But you might prefer the "warmth" of a scoop. 
I believe the 18xb's work quite well in supers. If you are open to other drivers there might be more posibilities.

Good luck!
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
satta sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satta sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 1:23pm
thanks for the compliments!
21 inch is too expensive for us and need too much power imo.
We want to get rid of our double 15 scoops.
I read that you get same amount of bass out of a double 18" reflex as out of a single scoop.
Is this the same with other folded horns?
I rather build 2 cabs with a single driver and get more sub than 1 cab with 2 drivers.
We also have a bunch of 15" drivers that we don't use, so we can use them for kickbass cab duties.

@all bass:
We're based in Den Bosch. We have an event on the 13th of December (i can pm you details if you want)

For now we have the 18xb's but can upgrade them in the future. That's why i don't want to build supers, as i heard they are good voor the fanes but not for heavier drivers like turbomax.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by satta sound satta sound wrote:

I read that you get same amount of bass out of a double 18" reflex as out of a single scoop.

LOL  i have read all sorts of things a lot of peeps chat from my experience a scoop will easy out gun a double 18"
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 5:39pm
Build the eminamce 18 scoop design then you can upgrade to PDs after , if you want upgrade to tmax or 1851 make the chamber 2inch bigger but keep the rear folding and expansion in back the same , most people just move the baffle back into the rear of the horn , that not good move, so the cab will have 2in bigger chamber and also be 2in deeper overall , and are they the jbl lens? If so also got a pair and they are great with jbl 2" on the back

Edited by paulus - 19 November 2014 at 5:40pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satta sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 11:15am
What about a tapped horn like the TH118? Or the WSX/WLX, Invader or SBH?
Or should i stick to scoops then?

@Paulus:
So you mean making the box 2 inch bigger and leaving the rest untouched? I read there are some more mods like the 45 degree corners and can i just make it a bit less wide, or do i have to change more on the scoop then?
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 7:15pm
pound fi pound scoops are king of the dancehall  Wink
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satta sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:44pm
Any more thoughts on this?
Thinking about building 6 modded emmy scoops and load them with oberton 18xb 1500. Then we will put some hd15's on top of that.
But i'm really interested in the other bins i mentioned as well..

Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:48pm
Hogs are always good shout. Devastating when loaded and powered properly
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 5:41pm
I've got 16 t max 1500i if you wanted to go down that route.
Geigertron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geigertron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 5:58pm
I swapped out 15" scoops (Fane 15xb's loaded) with the tham15 tapped horn, not looked back, (have 12 now) was think of building a 18" tapped horn, there is a post on here about jth-18 tapped horn, there is a plot with a pd1850, have had to put the speaker building on hold for the time being (18" anyway)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>