Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X10 vs mt122 what would you use to go with ES18BPH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X10 vs mt122 what would you use to go with ES18BPH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X10 vs mt122 what would you use to go with ES18BPH
    Posted: 12 December 2014 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

most drivers will work with the mt122 or mt121
Shocked
Broad statement IMO, the horn loading has specific requirements
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 1:09am
i use pkn xd4000 on my x1s, void loaded.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 11:01pm
Sounds like your current system is quite suitable for the jobs you're intending to do with it so I'd stick with it for now.

As has already been mentioned, things like the MT121 are intended to be part of a very large system.  They're very efficient but have quite a narrow dispersion and frequency range which immediately means you need a 4 way system and at least 2 mid-tops per side.

If you're looking for a general-purpose mid-top that's a step up from a single 15"+ HF, consider something along the lines of an X12 (but not necessarily the design on this site as-is).  Loaded with a couple of decent 12" drivers and a nice 1.4" compression driver you have a cab which will do from about 80-100Hz upwards and at a push possibly even full-range.  I used to do anything up to a 500 capacity theatre with just one per side for live music.

HD15's are designed for 'Hard Dance'.  They're loud, kick hard but highly un-musical so I'd give them a miss if I were you.

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 9:48pm
hey

yeah ok, yeah that sounds like more usable gear just now. 

Berry Ultradrive are great I have one, as are the db Mark controllers either of them would let you set things up properly.  Going with the 4 in 8 out db mark would also give you room for the future upgrade when you move to the bigger system, so you can go stereo 4 way.

Next I would think you'll find that you outgrow an 8 channel desk very quickly, once you start micing up a drumkit properly thats 8-12 mics straight away, so you may want to plan for a beheinger X32, or maybe a GLD or soundcraft expression.  Having a digital desk to give you the extra inputs and save on the footprint of outboard compressors etc is a big bonus, and most small pubs etc will want the mixing desk at the side of the stage rather than a proper FOH position, so iPads and being able to walk out the front and actually hear whats going on is also huge.

Factor in lights next to provide a complete wee system package, and then in the background can be working on the bigger speakers.

k

C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 8:57pm
That's what I have my eye on cookie I will get there eventually takes time patience and pounds
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 8:04pm
great post!!
2 in 6 out - behringer ultradrive dcx2496 from thomann. 157 delivered.
You can't polish a turd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 7:56pm
Thankyou kev that's the kind of answer I was looking for I have several amps and an 8 channel desk everything is cased properly cables are all vandamme I'm building this gear up slowly initially the 15+10+1 are built and for those I used celestion comp driver and 18sound 10 in it's own chamber and an eminence kappa pro15 and the subs are to go with them amp wise I have two c-Audio Sr 707's and four C-Audio RA3000 so am getting there I just need a decent 2in 6out to go with them

Edited by C-Audiofreak - 10 December 2014 at 8:29pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 7:45pm
^this pretty much sums it up kev..
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 7:37pm
hey

I only had time to skim over this thread so I apologise if this has been covered already, but if I can add my thoughts in here, as someone who is almost exclusively involved in live music rather than the usual dub/reggae or dance music on here: I think you're maybe aiming a little too high for your first rig.

Don't get me wrong I applaud your plans, and they're a great long term goal, but I think the rig your building will be ill suited initially to the kinds of work you'll be getting.

In most venues you will play, you will need all 4 MT122 cabs, two per side, to cover the room properly as they're fairly narrow dispersion. And you'll need all of your subs to stack so that they get top the right height.

However that is a LOT of rig, a lot of BIG speakers:  To transport, to set up, to store.  Plus for live music you'll need a full monitor wedge system, all the amps and processing to run it all.

Unless you already have contacts/gigs/bands in place for those bigger types of shows (an absolute minimum of 600 or 700 people, but in the ballpark of 1000 or more really), trying to cram all of that into the sorts of pubs/clubs/halls you're likely to be playing will be a big ask. I assume you have transport in place? and people to help you move/lift/stack everything for each gig?

A lot of pubs etc won't be especially happy with you bringing such a big rig in, it'll look a bit silly on their tiny stage with the band crammed somewhere in between.

If it were me, I would stick with the X1's you have just now since they're already built, and build a 15" reflex top cab to go on top. 

1 X1 a side with one 15" top with good quality drivers will be more than plenty for most pub bands, and everything you're likely to do initially, two subs a side if you really have a big hall and want the kick drum to thump. The rest of the money you were going to spend on the bigger rig I would put into getting a decent desk, decent mic package, stands, monitor system, and case it all up properly so you look like a professional system (cases always cost more than you think! Smile)

You can then get out and start making money straight away.  Add a few LED parcans to it as at this level they don't want to pay separately for lights, want you to provide a complete package system.

Once you've started to build a reputation and the rig, it's storage, transport etc has started to pay for itself, then you could start building the ES18's and MT122's and work towards a bigger system, by then you'll hopefully start to have a few bigger jobs come in.

And its not as if the 15" tops will be wasted either. I'm sure there will continue to be plenty of smaller band gigs mixed in with the bigger ones where them and a pair of X1's are sufficient, and even for many DJing gigs where its just a wedding, family party or whatever to get a few extra £ the tops on their own will be more than enough, they won't even need the subs. They'll also make a good drum monitor set up as drummers usually want a little kick and extra volume in their wedge than the rest of the band, who can have smaller wedges, 12" or whatever.

Just my thoughts, whatever you decide I wish you luck and be sure to post plenty of pics.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 10 December 2014 at 7:42pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 7:20pm
Thomann proline 3000 is good for X1 (only 1 a side though) if your on a budget.
You can't polish a turd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 7:06pm
What amp do you drive your x1's with cravings?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 6:51pm
here is a pic from last year, 2 x1, 2 double turbo 15, one mt121 per side.

this was for a live event with djs after.. the tops can do it. i think the 18sound comp is the weakest bit here.. looking to change these to a 12 and an 8 and a 1....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>