Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LABHORN 12 vs !8 INCHER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2004 at 8:17pm
I remember a comment on the Audioroundtable about the LAB driver being very similar to that used in the BDEAP (another OEM by Emmi with slightly different parameters)

Martin
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2004 at 9:47pm

The motor structure of the BT7 hasn't a BL that impressive nowadays. When it was new, yes, it was higher than any of the conventional speakers. For example the AudioZenit 4x10" sub has a piston area comparable to one 18" speaker, but a BL that would be around 65 if it was one 18"....

The BassMaxx B-One is the worst of all the subs listed above in terms of tonality. It's very loud at some special frequencies and very boomy for a horn. That's the reason why even one or two will get pretty loud...

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2004 at 10:50pm

Hi.

I think comparing the Lab Sub to a Martin WSX, or Yorkville LS 1208, is an apples to oranges comparison.

It is a few dB's shy from the Basstech 7. Which it should be.

Considering, it offers more similiarites to the Basstech 7 than any other cabinet in the market.

The Bdeap 32 will go lower than the Lab Sub, and, was designed for fixed installs.

If you want a Dual Eighteen to compete with the Lab Sub, it would be the McCauley EA 588. However, efficency wise, the Lab will beat it.

Sub Bass wise, EA 588 has a slight edge.

Keep in mind that this box (EA 588) is the only true commercial PA dual 18 subwoofer in the market. 

Elliot Thompson
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 1:34am

Freddy- the LS1208 is nothing amazing-i can acheive similar. They dont even state flare freq!

To everyone : thesedays - apples vs apples comparisons result in almost no difference! All the manufacturers are producing similar things-the only diff is is sound quality and SPL limit,sometimes the same $$$ spent on one company results in a better product, results in a shiny frame or nametag..

The apple vs orange comparisons are just pointless-comparing things fairly,knowing their intended usage is important.

Dont forget sound quality,and the fact that with enough horns you can acheive good directivity on axis :-)

The 'modified' lab12 in bdeap is nothing special. They couldve atleast used a tcsounds with Double the excursion as lab12 !

The bdeaps seem interesting outside in a 2x2 formation!

with two -Whats their sensitivity at 1watt/1metre/50hz ? 109db?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 2:50am

Mikee

I have the measurements on the Bdeaps using 2 - 4 enclosures.

True measurements. Not Spec sheets. I'll need to look for it though...

Just keep in mind, that the modified Lab 12 in the Bdeap is a rumor.

No one actually knows what is in that box, unless you work for Sound Physics.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
MIKEY SOUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 4:51am

I have never heard the BassTech 7.

Would like to hear from those who have. What about the sound? Does it make you feel like snapping your fingers and move you feet? Does it sound musical ?

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 5:02am

Mikey : People whove heard it love it.Also regarding comparing different subs- keepatleast ONE thing constant eg:

SPL or Size

Eg: to get the same SPL at 40hz it would take 4 good 18"s of xxx total volume compared to 2 average 12"s in a labhorn of equal volume.....

elliot : it did come from the horses mouth so it should be true re driver..

The ONLY good sub ive heard is my 2226,and MARTIN WSX hornsubs. My city of 100,000 has only 3 clubs. One of which has a martin setup,the other two are diy with no bass. So i have limited aural experience

I must go up to Wellington(our capital) where clubbing is very popular,and see how it compares to here system wise.

MIKEY SOUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 5:56am
Hey Mike: Are you aware of a sound company in your country called Oceania? I believe they make an amp that uses 3 phase ac power. This is the only amp I'm aware of that uses 3 phase besides the Crown Macro 10,000.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 6:36am

Never heard of it!Ive just found the site now!

Thats crazy and expensive!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 7:51am

Mikee,

You should checkout the other clubs outside of your area. You owe it to yourself.

The only box I haven't heard is the Basstech 7's and EAW KF940..... Yet  I've traveled, just hear systems.

What about concerts? You don't go to concerts? I'm in the City, and, we are not known for being the place to hear Regional Touring Systems in action.

Elliot Thompson
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 8:46am

No concerts here-well there was a christian music one,but i had no $,couldnt be bothered,didnt think id like the music,but my mate who was the soundman(found out after)they had bassmaxes-mustve been from up north

Theres simply nothing on down here(deep dark south)

-I miss all the international Djs cos they only come as far south as Christchurch.

The only other pro system ive heard is a VK audio one

Cheers!

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 5:46pm

Nice photos, but strange system.... The tops on their side, a BP6 below the top (where I would place the kick boxes for best coulping to the top, so I guess they are used as such...) and then two BR subs below..... The Top doesn't look bad from the conception. 8" horn (I guess) for the mids is a good start. Seems BP4 for the low mids, which can be really ok....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>