Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New system for 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New system for 2015
    Posted: 23 April 2015 at 5:59pm
Its been a few years since ive build and used a 12v system. 2012 i had a 4 x 100w tripath based system with a mini dsp, 12v scooter batteries wired to give 24v to the amp, 2 x 8" + 1" tops and 2 x 12" BPH kick/bass bins. It sounded fab, but was heavy and a pain to move about, sadly id didnt get used much.

This year im looking to make a much more portable system, im thinking 2 x 6" drivers and 2 x tweeters of some sort. Im looking for super efficiency, sound quality isnt a major thing here it will only be used for beach fires and bbqs down the park etc.

Think ill go with a 2 channel tripath board as that worked out well last time, can anyone recommended some efficient 6" and 1" drivers? Or even a couple of nice 8" coax?

Next step is the battery, whats everyone using these days? I might use my 18v lithium Makita batteries?
WWW.T8Audio.Com
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 8:00pm
Also thinking about upgrading my 12V sound!

I thought my usb mixer was dead but it seems to work allright!Hug

Im using 1x paudio hp10w and 1x pht409. Powered by maxamp and a motorcycle battery!

Its quite portable but it could be made from thinner ply!

Hope to see some nice 12V sounds this year!

"what!?"
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 8:08pm
Might not be as exciting as designing your own but...

Boominator (mini) Thumbs Up
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 8:13pm
Just a thought but I think the fane 12-250 tc could work fine in a 12v sound...Sensitivity 98db.

Wouldnt need anything else,no tweeters nothing. Just get one,build a box and thats it!
"what!?"
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 9:40pm
Take that 98dB sensitivity with a pinch of salt the size of Texas :D It's closer to 95dB really. Second problem is that it needs a huge cabinet. 75 liters as suggested by Fane in the data sheet is pretty much the smallest you can get away with if you want decent bass performance. Third and worst problem is that it's a twin cone full-range and therefore has absolutely atrocious off-axis performance above 1Khz which is a deal breaker for a portable system where wide dispersion is paramount. 

Easiest solution. Build a halfinator. You just need 1 HP10W more and either two decent quality piezos or the PHT407 tweeters as normal in half a Boominator build.

It's going to be 30x30x50cm and weigh about 10kg.

Since using 2 HP10W will make the system 4 ohm (or use both amp channels which is best so an HP10W plus tweeter on each channel, even if they are mono'ed) and you have 2 speakers you have gained 6dB more potential output.

Edited by Saturnus - 24 April 2015 at 7:57am
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 9:05am
I've just built a guitar cab with 2x 12" peavey scorpion (very old). The sensitivity of these speakers seems very high, by ear they are significantly louder with the same input than some bookshelf speakers I have. 
The speaker frame is squared off so a cabinet can be as compact as a 10 inch box would normally be (at the face dimensions).
I dont know if they would be the ideal thing but if I added tweeters and ported the cab (its open back right now)  this would be a incredibly loud little box for general music.

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 11:00am
Loud but with no bass at all though and very very poor SQ. Guitar speakers are great for guitar amps because they distort like mad, they are meant for that, they are extremely poor at anything else though.
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 6:47pm
What batteries would people recomend? Is everyone still using the CCTV ones? Whats the pros and cons of lipo and lithium ion?

WWW.T8Audio.Com
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 8:05pm
pros - light weight and small size

cons - everything else

General advice (in my opinion) is to stay away from using cheapo CCTV lipo/li-ion packs unless you absolutely know what you are doing, don't mind the very real pyrotechnic effect they can produce, and it's the only option for your build

If you can't afford proper lifepo4 or good quality li-ion packs then use SLAs

EDIT: There are instances where they (maining cheapo li-ion packs) are perfectly fine. For example to power very low current draw devices like bluetooth modules and the like. They're not suited for variable and high peak current draws like from an amp.

Edited by Saturnus - 24 April 2015 at 8:16pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2015 at 5:36pm
Check this all! LOL

"what!?"
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Thomas Hosker Thomas Hosker wrote:

What batteries would people recomend? Is everyone still using the CCTV ones? Whats the pros and cons of lipo and lithium ion?

Well I was (I think) the early advocate pf the "CCTV" batteries.

With the benefit of a few years experience now, I'd say the "6800mAH" ones I had are just about OK to use for a 2020 amp - IF you're driving 8R loads (or just playing low/medium levels). They can't supply enough current to fully drive a 2020 amp into 4R loads. IME, the several 6800mAH ones I got were OK - but not really stated capacity. Latterly I got a "9800mAH" one - which was utter shite.

These days I use Li-Po packs of the kind sold into the RC market ..... famously from Hobbyking.
You need a balancing charger for these really - like Turnigy etc. The connections are a bit awkward (several different propietary connectors and the balancing connectors don't lend themselves very well to mounting batteries internally in speakers).

But the performance is very good IME. I charge and discharge slowly (no heat build up) and always use a balanced charge cycle.

3S Li-Po is not quite ideal voltage-wise. Nominal voltage is 3.7V/cell (i.e. 11.1V for 3S), but full charge voltage is 12.6 V .... I stop discharging at about 11V, meaning I miss out on 20-30% of the capacity - but I'll live with that.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 9:15am
Have a read: http://ve2zaz.net/blog/index.php?/archives/13-A-too-good-to-be-true-6800-mAh-Li-Ion-12V-battery-pack....html

Slaz why do you stop charging at 11V then? You're wasting useable capacity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>