Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Montarbo NM 250A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montarbo NM 250A
    Posted: 27 June 2015 at 5:50pm
Hi there, I bought Montarbo NM 250 A. I wanted to try using my pc. I connected one of them directly to my mac and it does not sound good. When I listen a song, I can only hear the instrumental without the voice? Does anyone know why? They are brand new. I just want to know if I have to give them back or I need to set a different setting. Thank you all. 
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 7:36am
I guess you have used the 3.5mm stereo jack from your Mac out, and have plugged into an XLR, or balanced input on the Active Speaker?

Your computer output is stereo, unbalanced. The Speaker inputs are mono balanced. (TRS/XLR combi i/p, XLR link o/p). What you have managed to do, most likely, is feed a left signal to pin 2, right signal to pin 3, which the speaker inverts, and sums to pin 2's signal. Voila, cancellation, and all gone to sh*t.

Firstly, get an external soundcard, 3.5mm outputs should be reserved for people who really don't care about music. Then, from a grown up output from your soundcard, use the correct lead to connect to your active speaker. If your soundcard has unbalanced outputs (L mono Jack, R mono Jack, or L phono, R phono) buy a lead to two XLR, where the XLR is also unbalanced.

If your soundcard has balanced outputs, even better. TRS jack to XLR, or XLR to XLR (mic lead)

Worst case, to use the 3.5mm o/p on Mac, get a lead where the st 3.5mm jack goes to two jacks, or to two XLRs, so one is right unbalanced signal, the other is left unbalanced signal.

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
salways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 9:06am
Hi there, I used the 3.5mm stereo jack into my mac and jack 6.3mm stereo into the speaker. Moreover, I used, 3.5mm stereo jack into my mac and XLR into the speak. The sound is so bad. 
So you are saying, to get a good better that what I have, I have to get a 3.5mm jack with two XLRs and using one of those XLR connecting to my speaker. Do you think it should sound a bit better? 
Thanks a lot. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 9:48am
Some powered speakers do have some sort of stereo (summing) inputs, usually RCA´s but the Montarbo doesn´t, so you can:

1) Buy another and use the cable from ebay for full stereo sound.

2)  Just make do with either Left or Right.

3) Make up your own stereo to mono summing cable/box: 

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
salways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 10:31am
I have one speaker Montarbo and a mac. What kind of cable should be fine to get a "good" sound? Let me also know how I have to connect the cable to the mac and speaker. Thanks a lot.  
salways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 11:35am
if I use a mono cable, Jack 6.3 mono, jack 3.5 mono. May I solve the problem? 
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 5:46pm
Your device will have stereo out, the ideal solution is to sum left and right, I dont make a habit of listing my products on here as I understand its frowned upon, but this is couple of quid of cable which will help sort someone's problem:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=SKT190230&browsemode=category

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=SKT190231&browsemode=category

One is XLR, the other is Jack, they both work fine for me.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
salways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 6:14pm
what do you think to connect my speakers into this mixer

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_802_vlz4.htm

without connect the speakers directly to my mac? 

Thanks a lot guys!! You are so helpful 
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 8:50pm
Do you have the mixer already?

If so, great, if not, dont buy a mixer when just getting the right cable will do the job.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 8:31am
Originally posted by MattStolton<div>Firstly, get an external soundcard, 3.5mm outputs should be reserved for people who really don't care about music. Then, from a grown up output from your soundcard, use the correct lead to connect to your active speaker.<span style=line-height: 1.4;>[/QUOTE MattStolton
Firstly, get an external soundcard, 3.5mm outputs should be reserved for people who really don't care about music. Then, from a grown up output from your soundcard, use the correct lead to connect to your active speaker.[/QUOTE wrote:

+1!!
Get an external soundcard.
This will make all the difference in the world.

Edited by 4AC
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
 Post Reply Post Reply