Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend me a wireless router

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me a wireless router
    Posted: 28 June 2015 at 5:56pm
I need a new unit for the house since the last draytek may have got soaked lol.

Now if I was after just a wap I would have gone for a Ubiquiti unit but I'm not sure if they do one with them modem and router built in? 

I could just buy another Draytek which I really like but that seems like a waste of money for a single user home. 
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 6:35pm
look at the TP-link stuff, I use mainly Draytek (or Cisco if I need that) for £67 inc Vat they do a VDSL compatible unit, the Draytek 2860 series I tend to use are great (with 4G fallback if you want all that) but for home, Zyxel/TP-link take some beating, IMHO....
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 8:07pm
TP Link for home, and they WILL honour the three year warranty with an email and reciept.

It's everything, not everythink!
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 10:49pm
i got some d-link dir615, found in charity shop, installed dd-wrt on it, works nicely.  if you getting adsl modem from your isp set it into "modem mode" or equivalent, let your own router do the routing.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 12:38am
The thing about TP link is don't think they use a classic processor setup, so no open-WRT ect, they seem to be FPGA based!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 1:24am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

The thing about TP link is don't think they use a classic processor setup, so no open-WRT ect, they seem to be FPGA based!

I'm running Open-WRT on a TP-Link AP...  It was pretty useless with the stock firmware but works really well with Open-WRT.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 2:15am
Ok, I may be wrong, we were benching a TP router recently, no way is that running any kind of embedded Linux, it was virtually wire-speed, either way, not-bad kit on the bang/£ list...
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 2:49am
We have a bunch of these to go out on jobs with our desks for remote applications, and for a cheap access point they rock.
JohanXV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohanXV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2020 at 6:18pm
When I had a problem with choosing a router, friends advised me to try Cisco routers as they were their users. Cisco Routing provides intent-based networking for WAN, LAN, and cloud. Network routers include advanced analytics, application optimization, auto provisioning, and integrated security to provide a complete, proven solution. I found out more about Cisco at https://cciedump.spoto.net/ and checked the terms that some of them offer users. I have been using it for several weeks now and am quite happy with my choice.

Edited by JohanXV - 27 October 2020 at 6:23pm
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2020 at 7:44pm
Wow and 5 years later I'm still running openwrt, archer C7 looks like a good choice now bang for buck.
 Post Reply Post Reply