Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Idea for a monitor but not a monitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idea for a monitor but not a monitor
    Posted: 21 July 2015 at 5:44pm
This would be completely irrelevant to anyone slightly pro however while doing a party at the weekend, I had the thought of trying to attach an adjustable mirror onto the top of a comp box to reflect the hf towards the dj.

If you use an adjustable mirrors like the ones that are in bathrooms then you could use a laser to align it. 

It would prevent the need a monitor + amp + extra genny power which would make things cheaper and easier.

if you go the reflection from the top 50% of the vertical dispersion then it would not really affect the sound quality at all. There would be a gap further back however i was thinking for small parties where the power supply is limited.

Something like this...

Cemetery Sounds
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 5:55pm
Whole idea of a monitor is your not getting 20ms delay from the rig ruining your mix
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 8:03pm
  Yep, try mixing with the monitors off in a big room, using only the sound from the main rig, you may be surprised how hard it is! As an aside, I may have added a bit of delay to a dj's monitors before now when said dj wasn't behaving with the levels!Evil Smile
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 8:17pm
This would be used when the decks are directly next to the rig where you can't hear any HF at all.

It isn't ideal not having a monitor however in some situations its not possible. I may try it, there will be a bit of delay but it is better than not being able to hear it.
Cemetery Sounds
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 8:45pm
Don't borrow sparkle from the pa and use it for monitor. You will just ruin your dispersion in the crowd and the monitor reflections will sound like the reverb from a hammer on an anvil anyhow. Gotta have monitors. Then again sometimes you don't, so as a DJ I also make sure I keep up on my headphones mixing.
angelineacord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelineacord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 7:17am
There are many people who are in search of it.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 9:39am
Just give the dj the mirror so he can look at himself. Withbthat he won't mind not having a monitor
Mykey Wattco
 Post Reply Post Reply