Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapped Horn Build pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapped Horn Build pics
    Posted: 30 March 2007 at 3:07pm
Started building my tapped horn design prototype, I hope it works!

Anyway, here's some pictures of the magic!

The internal Layout

The curved section at the far end of the horn

Before being glued

From Behind

Preparing the bendy MDF!

About half the clamps in place

I accidentally over tighened the rachet straps and cracked the top left corner But it think that's going to be cut off when i assemble the speaker

More of the same!

Going together nicely!

That's it for now!

There was some more work done after these....Cutting the baffle, but made a bit of an error and the rebate to locate the driver in was cut too deep...... I've filled it with wood glue and mdf dust.... I hope it works!

Next installment tomorrow hopefully!

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 3:15am
nice
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:56pm
Edit: Double post woops!

Edited by tommysb - 02 April 2007 at 2:59pm
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:58pm
Worked on it again today.

Filling the too deep rebate with PVA and sawdust worked a charm,

After a rebate had been routered in:

The driver next to it:

Unfortunately, my good router is too big to cut 10" holes, so when cutting the actual hole for the driver, i used my £20 router and it's not as accurate, so the hole is 5mm too big, Grrr!

Here's the curved section without the clamps etc.

It was quite a hassle making it fit, I forgot to account for the thickness off the material when doing the inner curve, so had to make some approximations, and trim it down a bit!

Here it is trimmed:

And the rebate cut for it:

I didn't realise the bendy ply is 2ft wide, rather than 60cm, so might have to change the depth of the cut a bit so all the internals are level for the last panel. Grrrrr!

At least it fits in the rebate well:

Here's some mock-ups of roughly what it should be like when it's done:

You get the idea!

Maybe will finish it tomorrow......We'll see!

Peace out y'all!

login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 4:52pm
fair play that should sound really nice, 

what are the drivers your using?
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
philpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 5:34pm
will be interesting to see results. I remain sceptical about tapping in so close to closed end of horn but I hope you prove me wrong and it works fine.

Phil
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 7:44pm
The drivers are an autosound called Mivoc 104 I think.

Some more pics. No comments this time, it's late. Except that late speaker building and good speaker building don't go well together!

Peace

Will test it tomorrow when the glue's definately set.
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:02pm
looking good mate-

thanks for sharing the pics with us
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 9:55pm
Looks like a lot of work on the curved surface that will not make a measurable difference in performance.
djk
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 2:23am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Looks like a lot of work on the curved surface that will not make a measurable difference in performance.

I think it's nice, I like how this is turning out.  He's probably doing better with the wood than I would have.
now lets see some measurements!
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Yes my thoughts actually! 2 sheets of bendyMDF = £14, which isn't insignificant on a budget build!

Fired it up today, and it's a little dissapointing. Not as sensitive as the big folded horns i have, and not as 'full' sounding.

This was designed to be run as a pair though, so the plan at the moment is to knock together another one real quick, without the rebates or curved section, as I already have most of the panels cut for it, should be possible in about a day. Will have a listen with a sine sweep later and try to judge how peaky the response is, and where cuttoff occurs.

I hope it's not all been in vain!

philpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 1:11pm
try some different drivers. I have managed a 38Hz cutoff with a 98dB driver. with an 88dB driver you would want a tapped horn about twice the length of the one you have made and be aiming for 20dB cutoff. you are never going to get as much gain with a tapped horn but because it controls the excursion better you can use a more sensitive driver with lower xmax.

Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>