Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FREE formula for my speaker paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FREE formula for my speaker paint
    Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:15am
Hi Guys!

Seeing as I was getting inquiries from abroad and hardly any here. I thought I might as well share the formula that you can all mix, and use supplies from local resin stockists.

Items needed are...

1. Resin - catalyst
2. Chopped strand
3. Talc
4. Pigment
5. Textured roller

Resin you can even buy from builders merchants now, as it's being used on flat roofs etc

Talc you can buy in 25kg bags or just go and buy the body talc. I have used recently the talc from poundland 'imperial leather'

Chopped strand you can order from ebay. 3mm is good.

Pigment. I have used a number of pigments, but you can also buy this from ebay, as well as all the other ingredients

Roller is a throw away. If you try and clean it with acetone, the roller just expands

You don't have to use chopped strand, but I would recommend it 

Pigment is mixed with the resin first, then the talc. Talc and resin mix is up to you. You want to get a consistency like custard. Not too runny. Then add the chopped strand. Mix well, with a paddle on a drill if you can. Use up a litre at a time and keep the rest on the shelf until you need it another time.

This paint is bullet proof and waterproof

Enjoy

PS: use in a ventilated area. If winter painting with no heating, then use winter resin 
Mykey Wattco
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:34am
Mykey Wattco
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:47am
Very kind of you to share such a good info.Thank you very much...will let you know how it goes.
Measure twice...cut once.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:54am
Male model, speaker designer, formulation chemist.... ...does Mykey have any limits?
Don't test the champignon sound
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 11:44am
^ LOL

Glad it's waterproof,you will need it on a day like this.
Be seeing you.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 11:47am
Early present, from Santa Mykey.. LOL

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
soundforyou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundforyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 5:50pm
Excellent, Cant wait to try it, sick of painting cabinets every time they come back!!
Life is Now
King George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 6:02pm
So roughly how long do you get before the paint sets? In my mind I have the kind of resin you use for GRP that suddenly goes runny to rock hard!
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 6:28pm
I am not one to moan,

But could you do a video please?

Ta
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 7:28pm
nice one Mykey. Jbl use a similar mix, i had some 30 yr old cabs in great original condition
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 8:28pm
  Cheers Mykey, jblman could you make this a sticky please? (see what I did there!)
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 8:35pm
I have a pair of the old JBL 4850 concert series that are coated with a fibreglass shell. Still like new. Hardly any marks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>