Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FREE formula for my speaker paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by shaun1264 shaun1264 wrote:

I have a pair of the old JBL 4850 concert series that are coated with a fibreglass shell. Still like new. Hardly any marks.

those were the same ones i had, sold them last year. i was wondering how they made the coating and thanks to mykey we have the answer. much appreciated!
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by King George King George wrote:

So roughly how long do you get before the paint sets? In my mind I have the kind of resin you use for GRP that suddenly goes runny to rock hard!
30 mins

best thing about it getting tacky and going off, gives you a better lift on the texture

You can mix the chopped strand in with the resin first, and talc after. What ever tickles ya fancy
Mykey Wattco
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

Originally posted by shaun1264 shaun1264 wrote:

I have a pair of the old JBL 4850 concert series that are coated with a fibreglass shell. Still like new. Hardly any marks.

those were the same ones i had, sold them last year. i was wondering how they made the coating and thanks to mykey we have the answer. much appreciated!
Not saying it's the same. I didn't know of theirs. I kept making up my own filler (car body panel filler) and you have to do it in stages, by adding talc slowly. While it was runny I thought Ermm would make good paint. The chopped strand is a bonus
Mykey Wattco
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:56pm
I think that what you had there was chopped strand matt with resin. Quite a lot of work involved in that process.

If you are going to use the chopped strand fibres, when the paint has cured, make sure there aren't any small spikes standing up from the 3mm fibres. If there are then just quickly go over the surface lightly with sandpaper  
Mykey Wattco
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 10:31am
Is the ratio of resin to catalyst critical?

I tried doing small batches of 2 pack poly floor paint and often found I ended up with empty tins of hardner and loads of half full paint tins.

When you say chopped strand, are you saying these are short prices of what a David's isopn type matt would contain?

Cheers
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 3:02pm
There is a link there for the chopped strand, in the second post
Mykey Wattco
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 3:29pm
we definitely need a video of this..

Go on Mykey, could be the start of your acting career.. Make sure you have a glamourous assistant! someone like that bird in countdownThumbs Up
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by supremesoundz supremesoundz wrote:

Go on Mykey, could be the start of your acting career.. Make sure you have a glamourous assistant! someone like that bird in countdownThumbs Up

he means carol not the young tart....

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Thou shalt not take the name of Rachel Riley in vein!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

....ha!! Now any recomendation u make is automaticaly invalid as your choise in women sux!!! Lol coral is soooooooo much hotter!!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
colboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

....ha!! Now any recomendation u make is automaticaly invalid as your choise in women sux!!! Lol coral is soooooooo much hotter!!

ohh yes, Carol is the top of the list.
If it flies floats or fxxxs, rent it.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 6:47pm
Carol is super horny
Mykey Wattco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>