Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hog Scoop Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renzelkouten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hog Scoop Driver
    Posted: 11 September 2015 at 10:16am
Morning,

Know this has been done to death... but i've got a choice to make, so I'd like to ask for a bit of advice. Just after 2 x drivers for my hog scoops - i've searched around a bit and seems like for my budget I've got a choice of:

- 2 x 18 sound LW1400 (£180 each used)
- 2 x PD1850 (£200 each used)
- 2 x Void V18-1000 (£220 each new)

I've used the Voids before and been happy with them so tempted just to go with them, at moment the Hogs have t-nuts for the PD1850s so that is swaying me that way a little.

Main thing is which will sound best, i'll be playing reggae and dub through 'em.

Cheers
Nicky
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 10:33am
You could simulate your driver choices to see the predicted performance. The sound is a very subjective thing, what sounds best for me might not really be your thing at all.

My advise would be to go with the Void 1000 since you state that you have been happy with them. They also offer good value for money as new drivers are roughly in the same price bracket as the other two in used condition.

I know it's blasphemy to simulate (or measure Shocked) a scoop. But here https://www.freespeakerplans.com/forum/38-hosted-plans/5466-hog-scoop#13970 are the Hornresp inputs if you want to go that route...
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
renzelkouten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renzelkouten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 11:29am
thanks for that all bass... i think your right, makes sense to get the new Voids

i know the 18sound are pretty much mint and the PD1850s though used have always been well looked after (no clipping etc).

if you go from the 6 hole spacing that i currently have in the hogs to the 8 hole that the voids use is it best to just put in some more t- nuts?
dub it up
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by renzelkouten renzelkouten wrote:

if you go from the 6 hole spacing that i currently have in the hogs to the 8 hole that the voids use is it best to just put in some more t- nuts?
I would rotate the driver so that you can use 8X new t-nuts.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 12:14pm
Experience has taught few of us, Scoop Sims don't line up with real life testing, in terms of freq resp/low end extension.

Hornresp stated Void V18-1200 would sound tremendous in ASS RX18, was actually awful/didn't work.
In right cab, driver was immense.

Would suggest you put flat head screws in PD tnuts, and as suggested previously, re-tnut baffle for standard 18" bolt pattern.

That way you can test drivers you are interested in. Or just revert back to PD bolt pattern for PDs.

V18-1000, will need outer edge of cut out widening.

I have some drivers for sale, which will out perform V18-1000/PD1850 in Scoops.

PM for more details.Embarrassed

Edited by levyte357- - 11 September 2015 at 12:18pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I have some drivers for sale, which will out perform V18-1000/PD1850 in Scoops.

PM for more details.Embarrassed
Are these drivers the new universal scoop driver? Or outperforming V18-1000 in hogs?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

Are these drivers the new universal scoop driver? Or outperforming V18-1000 in hogs?

Some drivers excel in Scoops & FLH, others in Reflex.

Some drivers excel in some Scoop designs, and are mediocre in others.

Smart people, identify the right driver for their cab, based on desired freq resp, number of subs, music choice, sub amp output rating, and typical venue power supply. Embarrassed

Edited by levyte357- - 11 September 2015 at 1:14pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 3:51pm
Im gonna play the game and not gonna mention the name of the drivers (but im probably guessing correctly which one Lev is talking about ) .

If i am , i have six hogs loaded with them and they kick butts. Pure sub sound,not so warm but immense pressure and spl and i like the sound its really really clean and sharp. Suits my current taste.

Hell,they even play techno nicely now LOL.

Edited by Sypa - 11 September 2015 at 4:13pm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 4:06pm
Obertons maybe?

"what!?"
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 4:40pm
Why are you idiots being so sodding secretive??

Just tell him the make and model of the driver your talking about and let a few other people try them out....

....i thought this forum was ment to be helpful. Its gettin more and more childish as time goes on.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 4:43pm
Hey hey .     
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2015 at 4:46pm
I always found the secrecy around scoop and sscoop drivers hilarious,excuse me. And yes im talking about xb1500.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>